1 (edited by jets60 2009-02-25 05:12:04)

Topic: "Drinking From the Ocean"

There is a limitless amount of music out here on the World Wide Web and I am finding that there were and still are a great many talented singers and songwriters who have some very thought provoking ideas that I would have never heard if I hadn’t found them on the various music pages out here on the internet. I find it very irritating that I was forced to listen to what a relatively small number of people felt was safe to play or deemed radio worthy. 

Drinking From the Ocean By Jeff Gilpin

February 24th, 2009

Verse 1

[Am]I grew up believing [G]that

The [Am]world was out there for me [G]living

[Am]Life out there for me to see [G]and

[C]Find out what [G]I was meant to [F]be [G]

Verse 2

[Am]Thought I’d seen all that’s out [G]there

The [Am]thoughts and words for me to [G]hear

And [Am]make my mind up for my[G]self

[C]If I under[G]stood the meaning [F]clear [G]

Chorus

But [F]clarity’s evasive

If the [C]governor is on

[G]Filtering what’s played

De[F]nying oh so many [Am]songs [G]

Verse 3

[Am]Words some don’t agree with

[G]Someone [Am]else’s grandiose i[G]deas

[Am]These just mightbe [G]dangerous

[C]So they thought it [G]best to steer us [F]clear [G]

Verse 4

[Am]Me I prefer to [G]steer

[Am]When the boat I’m steering [G]is my

[Am]Mind so I can find my way [G]not some

[C]Other’s view of [G]what I need [F]find [G]

Chorus

[F]Drinking from a trickling faucet

Was an [C]ocean out there

Drips [G]dropped not satisfying

But now the [F]answer to my [Am]prayers [G]

Verse 5

To[Am]day I listen wide and [G]far

To [Am]all that I have time to [G]hear and

[Am]Think about con[G]sidering

[C]Other’s thoughts from [G]far and [F]wide[G]

Verse 6

I [Am]do not always agree [G]with the

[Am]Thoughts so far away from [G]me but

[Am]Considering where they’re coming [G]from

I [C]try and keep [G]my mind far from [F]shut [G]

Chorus

[F]Drinking from the ocean

[C]So long denied

Not [G]withered as I feared

A [F]healthy spark of life still in[G]side [Am]

© Jeff Gilpin 2009

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "Drinking From the Ocean"

hi jeff it dose'nt matter what anybody think they know,its you that makes  your songs come alive and put the feelings and emotions in ,its their loss if they can't grasp what they've got ,just do what you do best.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Thanks Robert - I just get mad for all the great thinkers and artist who never get to the airwaves because someone thinks they are not commercial enough... Not sure where I fit in there now but I for sure know where I would have fit in the 60s and 70s.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Delighted your not censored Jeff,

insightful as always, you are with your songs.

We were hounded with censorship on this wee island..  I must admit Ive lived to see big changes , thankfully.

But it goes on all around the world..

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2009/01/thai- … -news.html

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Lena - There is so much music I listen to now and the funny thing is I usually only listen to the news on the radio.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,
I agree with you about listening to music on the radio. I spend the most of my time driving for work so when I do listen, it is always the news as I can't afford satellite radio.

Very thought provoking. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I feel the exzact same way, Mr. Jeff. I dont know how half of the souless B.S. they play on the radio gets on there. I like songs with meaning, with heart. Dont care what genre, aslong as it means something. Great job ,my friend

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks Kenny and Selso - I am just thankful that there is so much music out here to explore.

J  E  T  S

i was a bit dubious of reading this at first, as i've drunk my fair share of salty water! urgh!

i think this qualifies as a story song, as it gives an opinion and a controversial one at that...big brother and all that. everything is censored whether they admit or deny it...and they usually deny!

power to the people, and well done jeff

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey Phill, Thanks  I think so too. With the radio, the people with the job of picking what was played usually went with what they felt would make the most commercial sense for the radio station. I enjoy all the options I have to choose from which really makes me feel like I'm in power for a change.

J  E  T  S