Topic: "Looking Up"

A few months ago I was driving home from work and saw a crescent moon grinning at me from above. I put that away for a night like this when I wanted to reflect on the moon, the sun and the sky. I also thought about the clouds because they too are a big part of the sky I see when I look up. If I ever get lost I can usually figure out at least where I'm nearby looking where the bright spots are reflected in the clouds.

Looking Up By Jeff Gilpin

February 5th, 2008

Intro

[Am] [F] [G]

Verse 1

[Am]At the start of the [F]twilight

Be[G]fore you see the [Am]stars

The [F]sun bids [G]a fare[Am]well

With a flare or a [F]flourish

Or a [G]simple fade to [Am]grey

She [F]dips be[G]yond the [Am]veil

Chorus

[F]Gone like so [C]many [G]days be[C]fore

And [F]yet we know that [C]she’ll come back a[G]gain

To [Am]continue a[F]nother [G]journey cross the [Am]sky

To [F]ever be[G]gin a[Am]gain

Verse 2

Just as darkness [F]falls

[G]Up comes the [Am]moon

To [F]imitate the [G]sun so [Am]bright

Never quite as [F]smooth

Ex[G]cept for when she’s [Am]full

[F]Then she [G]gets it [Am]right

Chorus

[F]Like a younger [C]sister who’s [G]oh so [C]shy

[F]She seems a bit a[C]fraid to show her [G]face

[Am]Usually [F]showing [G]glimpses of a [Am]smile

A[F]mused by the [G]world from [Am]space

Verse 3

On [Am]cloudy days or [F]nights

[G]Clouds try and e[Am]rase

The [F]light out [G]of the [Am]sky

[Am]They cover the [F]day

With [G]shades of [Am]grey

And [F]make our [G]skylight [Am]die

Chorus

[F]Evening clouds [C]reflect the [G]light from the [C]land

But [F]hide the [C]light from far a[G]way

[Am]Showing all man’s [F]colors as [G]best as they [Am]can

Until the [F]Sun begins her [G]journey another [F]day [Am]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "Looking Up"

Hi Jeff,

Great chord sequence and song. Living two miles from the village the night skies do not get hidden with street lights so the moon and stars are brilliant here.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger - Tonight's a good star watching night but no moon to speak of.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hi jets lovely song ,just love the mystic night sky ,can be romantic or just a beutiful scenario...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Awesome, Jets.

Made me wonder when the last time was that I just looked at the stars.

Maybe me and "Bug" will do that on the next clear night we have.

Very playable, too. I have a daddycool song to try tonight, maybe I'll check this one out, too.

Just play

Hey Daddy and Larry - Thanks

Just a folky melody from thinking too much on a night drive home

J  E  T  S

I think Neil Young once said "it don't have to be complicated to be good" or something like that...

Just play

God! is that deep or what? Profoundly deep.
I've experienced beautiful sunsets but I dont think I could describe one like you just did...I wish I had seen it too.
"Amused by the world from space" waxing lyrical, I wish I'd written that
keep on keeping on

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

'Nother dandy song, Jeff.  I also love watching the sky and really love it when the moon is visible during daylight hours (which is really quite often - you just have to look hard).  Yet another song to try out this evening . . . I'm going to be busy.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanks Guys

J  E  T  S

Jets,

How did i miss this one? Its lovely. I love the countryside on dark nights,
as Roger says no articifial lights just the skys in all there glory.
When i was last in Croatia i never seen anything like the stars in the skys there.  Truly lovely, as is this song.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I just wanted to let everyone know that "Looking Up" has now been properly mixed and is up on my myspace artist page at http://www.myspace.com/stilljeffgilpin

Stop by, have a listen and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jeff/jets60

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

I liked this song when you first posted it and this recording is brilliant. The female backing vocals add the finishing touches to the song. Well done.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks very much Roger. The backing singer is Jan Delucien. She has a much better singing voice than me in my opinion and was gracious enough to give me a hand or her voice in this case.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff/jets60
I enjoyed the song thanks. The lady has a real nice voice which blended well with your own..
Well done
Ark

Jeff just had a listen and enjoyed several of the songs including "looking up" and "Gray skys" nice recordings and I like the guitar work on gray skys well done smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Ark and Russ - It took a lot of work and a great job mixing which I owe to Mike Trella. Both Jan and Mike is a MySpace Friends of mine if you and they have great music of their own as well. Check them out: www.myspace.com/stupidsexytrella & www.myspace.com/lovingit_music

J  E  T  S

Hey Jeff
Good work done by all on this one. smile You must be very pleased with the finished tracks. I'll have a stop by your friends site for a listen a little later.

Thanks for this

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks Ken -Yep very pleased. We still have quite a few more tracks to complete but if the first one out of the shoot is any indication of how the rest will turn out it should be a pretty good set of my music.

J  E  T  S

Is there a recording of this? I couldnt find one. I love the imagery it brings to mind. Verse 3 is my favorite. Love to hear it sometime

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

just click on his website or the link he provided smile

selso wrote:

Is there a recording of this? I couldnt find one. I love the imagery it brings to mind. Verse 3 is my favorite. Love to hear it sometime

"Growing old is not for sissies"

oh,duh! thanks Mr Russell

Reverend Horton Heat

I just gave a listen: better then I thought it be. well done, sir

Reverend Horton Heat

Hey Selso - Thanks - Better coming too. There are a few tracks in work that are better than this in my opinion but not quite finished mixing yet.

J  E  T  S

i jeff,

just had a listen to "looking up" and what a very professional recording...congrats and a live band too?

well done and thanks for sharing

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.