Topic: SMASHING GUITARS

HONEST: I hate seeing bands smashing a guitar. I heard also that the guitar that will be smashed is constructed in that way that it is quit easy to repair, like METALLICA.
BUT I hate it to see bands, guitar players destroying an expensive guitar every gig. You, me, have to work hard to put some money aside to buy a nice guitar, and those guys act (subjective of course) very DISRESPECTFUL.
If they want to smash a guitar at the end, sorry, they can start with a lottery and make someone happy.
What is your opinion of bands smashing their guitars?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: SMASHING GUITARS

It's wasteful showmanship.  It was new and unusual when Daltry did it.  Now it's blase.  So it's not just wasteful showmanship, it's poor showmanship.  Not a fan.  However, it's their show and their guitar.  If they think smashing a guitar makes for a better show, they're welcome to do so. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm with John Hiatt on this one. His song "Perfectly Good Guitar" is an anti instrument destroying song. I am however, 100% for the smashing and demolition of ALL drum machines and sequencers..............

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I am however, 100% for the smashing and demolition of ALL drum machines and sequencers..............

Second that.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Instead of smashing a guitar, give it to me and I will give it a good home. I'll clean it, protect
it, and play it.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Zurf wrote:

It's wasteful showmanship.  It was new and unusual when Daltry did it.  - Zurf

sorry Zurf, it was Pete Townshend that did it.

I remember seeing him on a show about great guitarists and asked why he done it he replied that the place they were playing had a low ceiling and he whacked the guitar off either the ceiling or an amp and he got annoyed so he smshed it up in a mood. When he saw the crowd standing in awe at what he had done he thought what he had done was great for the audience so he carried on doing it. Keith Moon the nutter he was did not need any encouragement to join in.

My opinion on smashing guitars?
Well even though they are great pieces of workmanship, they are replaceable and if the artists have enough money to replace them and it is to put on a show then why not?
But like you said it is a bit blase now.
No one can do it like the Who done it, they even got bored with it and stopped it, or was that their age that made them stop? lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It was sort of cool when The Who did it but now it just seems sort of silly. I think Pete's reaction was genuine emotion at least at first. Now it's lame to do it for effect.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I don't remember where I read it, but I did once read "be it true or not", that they weren't really smashing their high dollar guitars, that while playing they would switch guitars to a similar looking cheap guitar, that was stashed behind an amp stack, then smash it, again not sure thats true, but I just can't see smashing a high priced guitar.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

upyerkilt wrote:
Zurf wrote:

It's wasteful showmanship.  It was new and unusual when Daltry did it.  - Zurf

sorry Zurf, it was Pete Townshend that did it.

Who?

smile

- Zurf

Zurf,

You are just to funny, I love your directness and sense of humor to most any subject, especially your thoughts on the B chord, that cracked me up.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down