Topic: Fingerpick alternatives

I keep breaking my nails.  I have tried the metal fingerpicks that slide over your fingertips and cannot stand them.  Not only do they cut into my cuticles, but I can't feel the strings so I wind up picking wrong strings, or picking right strings too loud or too soft.  They and me are not a good marriage. 

I am not going to get Lee press-on nails.

So, I would like some suggestion for either fingerpicks with feel, or for how to keep my fingernails strong enough not to break so often.  I don't need very long nails to play, but when I have to keep trimming back to the quick and growing them out it gets a bit frustrating.

I suppose I could learn to use a pick, but I like the fingerstyle.  Flat-picking is in my future, but for now I'm enjoying learning the style.  It's just keeping my nails and/or picks that's the trick.

Any help is appreciated. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Fingerpick alternatives

Hey Zurf, You might want to try a set of flesh tones,they allow you to feel the strings with the pads of your fingertips. I use them some but I personally like the sound of flesh on strings better than metal.The fleshtone picks are a little more spendy than others but as far as fingerpicks go they are the best I've found. I think they are about $5. a piece.
   I play with a thumbpick alot and no fingerpicks and I don't have long nails,but I do alot of chord enhancements and pinches and hammerons,I am lucky to have 4 different acoustic guitars and some shine better than others with a flat pick and some do way better than others fingerpicking with just flesh on strings..My wife just bought me a new one for christmas that is unbelievable with just flesh on strings.

Good Luck , Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Like wlbaye . . . I prefer to just use my fingertips and not the nails . . . . however you might like these picks which fit under your fingernails "aLaska Pik"    http://www.alaskapik.com/

Hey Zurf, The picks I was referring to are Pro Piks Finger tone.They are metal the alaska picks Royce refers to are plastic and fit under the nail,I guess I play to aggressively cause I can't keep the alaska picks on my fingers.It sucks when you lose them mid song.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Zurf, those Lee "press on nails" really work. It took me awhile, but when I was trying hard to quit smoking they were a godsend. I got up to 2 packs a day before I quit but they worked.

I been having a whle lotta trouble with my right hand and have had 2 surguries since November. My middle and ring fingers have been affected by these surguries and don't work just like I would like them too. This affects any attempts I make to try and learn a finger pick style. Still cannot close my hand, tightly and still have some pain. Guess I'ma gonna stick with playing rythem guitar and bi-pass the fingerpicking for a little longer.

Nela

Thanks all for your suggestions.  I'll look into those flesh tone thingies.  If I can get a good ringing tone, not cut up my cuticles, and still feel the string I'll be pleased.  I like flesh on string for a nylon string, but with a steel-string folk guitar I want that sucker to ring out and flesh on string is too soft for my taste, style of music, and preference.   It sounds real good on minor tunes played on a nylon string, though. 

NELA - Good luck with that right hand.  On the other thing, you have intrigued me as to how Lee press-on nails can possibly have anything to do with quitting smoking.  As far as 2 packs a day, were those 2 packs of nails or 2 packs of cigs? 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I've been going to a nail salon for years...I play with a thumbpick and three fingers...I have them apply acrylic to the first three fingers and have them just long enough to be able to alternately pick with the nail, or the pad of the fingers. My natural nails are too thin and weak to stand up to steel stringed guitar playing...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Zurf, when I said I was up to 2 packs a day when I was trying to quit smoking - it wasn't cigarette's. I was chewing 2 packs of Lee press on nails per day 'cause I did not have any of my own fingernails left.

nela

Although going to a salon may work well for some, I don't think Zurfs' fishin' and campin' buddies would, or could never let him live that one down. (haha) Zurf, I like the Jim Dunlop plastic finger picks. They're made in various sizes to accomodate many finger shapes and sizes. They cost about 85 cents a pick and last a very long time. They're durable( not as much so as the metal finger picks you dislike) and they have a little give to 'em. Get yourself the proper size ( not blood circulation cuttin' off, but a little snug) and you might find these guys work well for you. Also, they are somewhat shapeable to fit your fingers ideally, but they will break if you bend 'em too far. They come in solid white and leopard(calico) colors.

Give everything but up.

NELA wrote:

Zurf, when I said I was up to 2 packs a day when I was trying to quit smoking - it wasn't cigarette's. I was chewing 2 packs of Lee press on nails per day 'cause I did not have any of my own fingernails left.

nela

LOL!  That sailed right over my head.  Very funny.

- Zurf

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Although going to a salon may work well for some, I don't think Zurfs' fishin' and campin' buddies would, or could never let him live that one down. (haha)

I could go to one of those fancy salons and get fishing flies painted onto them!  But then my co-workers would have something they wouldn't let me live down. 

To Jaygordon's credit, I've been considering a nail treatment from the grocery store.  I wouldn't want anything shiny, but I seem to recall back in college when we played the "Reva" drinking game during Guiding Light (you had to drink every time and for the whole time Reva cried - good for a mid-day buzz for sure) that there was stuff sold that's supposed to keep nails from chipping and breaking.  Now, that was decades ago and as already mentioned I wasn't in a state known for maximizing the accuracy of recollection.  Still, it may be worth a trip over to the pharmacy.  Fishing buddies could razz me.  I'd just stuff cotton in their ears or sound an air horn in their face at the campfire that night so they couldn't hear me play.   Nah.  They'd be lining up to razz me the next night to keep from having to hear it again.  smile 

- Zurf

12 (edited by BHAF4163 2009-01-05 19:45:50)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … nails.html

Hey Zurf  don't know if this will help, but it just might

Bob