1 (edited by Zurf 2008-12-29 02:44:28)

Topic: Since some have mentioned enjoying hiking

I ran up to Harper's Ferry, WV today to test out a new camera and took some shots.  If you're interested, pop on over to my photo site at www.picasaweb.google.com/halffastpaddler/ and check out the Harpers Ferry album.  Some art shots, some scenery, a few portraits of my sister and daughter, and a few beautiful sunset shots.  One real curiosity, and the reason I am posting it here, is that one shop had a player BANJO in it that worked on the same mechanical principles as player pianos. 

For those not familiar with the area, Harpers Ferry, WV is a national landmark (the entire town).  Much of it is run by the National Park Service, but there are private residences and businesses in it too.  It's the site of two major 19th century events.  The first is that the armory at Harpers Ferry is where John Brown the militant abolitionist's raid took place.  Some consider this raid to have initiated the American Civil War.  The other significant event is that the armory there some years before was the manufacturer of the model 1803 flintlock rifle that was used by the Lewis and Clark expedition on the first journey to find America long before Simon & Garfunkel sang about it. 

A number of the photos were taken standing on the tow path to a canal (the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal) that was conceived by George Washington, and built in part with his money and some investors (the Ohio Company) before he was President - when Virginia and Maryland were still colonies and West Virginia didn't exist as separate from Virginia.  The shots of my sister in front of stones - those stones are the bulwark of Lock 33 on that canal.   The tunnel pictures are what remains of pump and storage areas.  The water has long since drained back into the Potomac but the locks remain and the C&O Canal is now Americas narrowest (and longest) National Park. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Since some have mentioned enjoying hiking

Beautiful country...thanks for the pics. Did Santa bring the new camera?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

great pics Zurf,
The banjo looks very interesting, but I love the other pics better. Pics of the sky with colour always look good. And that one with the bridge is also great.

I am hopefully going to get some good pics this week. I am heading up north and it is meant to be nice for a few days.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Geo - Yes, the camera was from Santa.

Ken - If you're talking about the black & white with two bridges narrowing down to enter one tunnel with the tow path leading under it, it's curious to note that that rail line is what put the C&O Canal Company out of business.  It was George Washington's desire to run a canal the entire way to Pittsburgh through the Alleghany mountains.  It got to Cumberland, MD from Washington, DC - not at all a small undertaking.  But rail was faster.  The rail started after the C&O but as you can see at times there were conflicts for right-of-ways.  It was mostly Irish immigrants building the canal and mostly German immigrants building the railway.  Downriver about six miles at Brunswick, MD where the canal and the railway ran within 100 yards of one another there was a riot over who got to use some stones.  The stones belonged to the canal, but the Germans figured it was German stone cutters who cut it from the quarry and they should get them.  These hard working men used to 18 hour days of demanding labor went at it tooth and claw and over 100 men were severely injured with over 20 killed.  All over a business venture.  I remember that sometimes when I'm in a conference room and negotiations get hot.  At least no one is wielding a pickaxe or sledgehammer at me. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lol Zurf,
Very true on things ye think of in places of work when ye dont want to be there, just think of other things like that, sit back and smile and get on wit hit.

I like wee factual stories like this, epecially when you are there looking at it and learning about how things got there or how they failed etc.

I could tell you about the "forth road bridge" in Scotland but I would only frget parts, if not all of it lol

Good stuff

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Not that awful poem - pleeeeeze !!!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Zurf wrote:

.  I remember that sometimes when I'm in a conference room and negotiations get hot.  At least no one is wielding a pickaxe or sledgehammer at me. 

- Zurf

That's great perspective, can I use that? People (myself included) get so caught up in the "day to day" that sometimes a "slap of perspective" helps. Your statement is the slap we need when we get whiney at work!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello