Topic: Re: Finger techniques

Hi all players (guitar players that is)
Im absolutly new at learning guitar, and what I found very challenging playing different notes on different ferrets.
I cant seem to get my index finger to push on all strings on the ferrit to produce the required sound.
Take the F# for instance.
finger 1 pushes on all strings on the second ferrit, while the other fingers press on other strings.
Does anyone know a good techniqute to over come this problem?

Any response would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Re: Re: Finger techniques

there is no easy way to finger frets it takes time especially bar chords it helps if your strings are not to high off the fretboard and not real heavy guage and with time and practice you will play a nice sounding bar chord but it wont happen overnight seek help from someone in a music store who plays guitar and ask this question you may get some good pointers you never know good luck smile

vanheusen wrote:

Hi all players (guitar players that is)
Im absolutly new at learning guitar, and what I found very challenging playing different notes on different ferrets.
I cant seem to get my index finger to push on all strings on the ferrit to produce the required sound.
Take the F# for instance.
finger 1 pushes on all strings on the second ferrit, while the other fingers press on other strings.
Does anyone know a good techniqute to over come this problem?

Any response would be much appreciated.

Mike.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have trouble sometimes getting all the strings down for a clean sound with my barre (index) finger . . . especially on the acoustic because the strings are heavier than an electric.  Lighter guage strings will help but you may have to do some truss rod adjustment and might loose some volume.  Also . . . try rolling your barre finger a little on it's side . . . this works for me to get a better barre.

vanheusen wrote:

Hi Mike and welcome to Chordie,

I am please you are taking up the guitar but I do think that before you go any further you should take a little time to learn the right terms.

If I took your statement above literally I would be replying that that squeezing different ferrets will produce different notes but do not squeeze too hard or else the ferret will bite you and it will be you making the different notes. lol

A ferret being a member of the polecat/stoat family, and most people in Britain will remember Richard Whiting's TV experience with one. The word you need is 'fret' but I am beginning to think that I like your term better so I may well adopt it myself. wink

I know it was a genuine mistake and no disrespect intended but the thoughts of getting notes out of ferrets had me creased up so I had to pass some comment.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Mike
Try pushing your ferrets with your finger deeper to the guitar neck.  The tendency is to use the end of your finger more, but the closer you put your hand the more leverage you get.  Don't focus too much on how sweet it sounds because it will just be a matter of time for the strength to come.
Steve

I had the same problem for a long time, but I bought one of the those 'gripper' hand strengthening things,  i just use it while watching TV and it seems to have worked for me.

Like Roger, I don't think you should go around squeezing ferrets!!

Strength and practice.  The only way.  I'm finally getting a reasonably consistent barre on F#m, F, Bm, and barred G on the third fret (ferret).  I forget exactly how long I've been playing, but it's about two years.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have to say (in a kind and warmly way) how much your post amused me. Ferrets hehe!

As Zurf above said, With practice it will come. The more you practice, the quicker it will be. But don't over do it, and remember to have fun, its easy to get frustrated with barre chords!

Just wait until you have to do a proper "A shaped barre" B Chord!

Also, here is a website thrown around a lot on here, that will answer ever question you will ever need to know about learning the guitar :

www.justinguitar.com

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Hi Vanheusen ... if you guitar is properly set up then it shouldn't take a whole lot of strength to hold down the strings...some people actually try too hard and seems to get worse instead of better. Strength is great and can be obtained thru exercises with spring type "grippers" or my favorite...a tennis ball. Sometimes it's difficult to stretch fingers in order to reach the chord placements and that simply takes practice. Try very slowly until you can get a clean sound consistantly and the smoothness and speed will soon follow...Practicing scales will also help "condition" your hands and fingers too!

BTW when I think of Ferret...I think of those silly little weasel creatures that my daughter had as pets! Fun little critters but they do stink!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.