Topic: i have never played guitar in my life!! but am a expert on trumpet.

I have been playing my trumpet for almost 8 years and have never strumbed a guitar until yesterday when i bought my first one.  Its nothin fancy but it is nice and i was just curious if someone could give me a little edvice on where to begin.  I am very interested and a little unpatient so if someone could help me quick that would be great!

Re: i have never played guitar in my life!! but am a expert on trumpet.

www.justinguitar.com

Walk before you can run, but you will know that from your trumpet days!

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

I'm a former horn player myself.  Very former.  Your skills will do you well.  Here's how I WISH I has started with guitar and am having to play catch-up.  Learn scales, at least the major scale, the minor scale, the blues scale (flat the thirds but play a major seventh).  Practice the chords used most in the music you want to play.  For me that's A, C, D, E, G, F, F#m, Em, Dm, E7, A7, D7, B7.  Learn arpeggios and inversions for those chords too.  Don't JUST do those things.  You need to learn the chords well enough to switch between them in time to make songs, but those are things to practice. 

How should you practice them?  Well, go to the site ApeDoctor recommended.  It's wonderful.  I wish I had known about it when I was just beginning.  I reference it frequently now. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

What Zurf said. The chords C, D, E, G, and A are the most popular open chords and should be the 1st chords you learn. Along with these open chords you will need to learn the F chord, which can be difficult. With the open chords of G and E learn to make them with your middle, ring and pinky fingers as this will help you later on with barre chords and other movements between chords. Learn the 7th chords, A7, B7, C7, D7, E7 and G7. Learn the minor chords of Em, Am, Dm. With the exception of the F chord, all these chords are easy and once learned there are THOUSANDS of songs you can play. Learn your scales. Learn the chord progressions. 1st, 4th and 5th chords are Major (the 5th chord can be played as a 7th chord) , 2nd, 3rd and 6th are minor chords and the 7th is a diminished chord. Learn how to transpose from one key to another key. Set aside 30 minutes a day for practice AND STICK TO IT!

Nela

Hi LArry,

Welcome to Chordie.

I could recommend PLAYJAM. there is a section and opinions in chordie on this site.
I found it quite useful before and recentely I am joined up again. It is a place where you pay a fee though, dont know if that would put you off or not, but it is a lot cheaper than an actual tutor.

It gives training from complete beginner to advanced players wanting to try a different style like finger picking, strumming, electric guitar, as well as other styles.

But good luck.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken,

Does that site require MIDI interface?

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Ken,

- Zurf

lol :LOL:

whats that? sounds like something on the starship enterprise

I think it needs something but whatever it needs I have it as I can see the videos no problem and I dont think I downloaded any interface thing, but thats not to say I havent ,lol

yep, I have no idea.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Your music training will help you.  You already know how to practice and rehearse, so that's a bonus, too.

I think Zurf nailed it pretty well.   Learn the scales, and study the fretboard.  Once you understand what is going on there, you'll probably pick it up fairly quickly.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

upyerkilt wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Ken,

- Zurf

lol :LOL:

whats that? sounds like something on the starship enterprise

I think it needs something but whatever it needs I have it as I can see the videos no problem and I dont think I downloaded any interface thing, but thats not to say I havent ,lol

yep, I have no idea.

ken

Sounds like "no." 

- Zurf

Zurf,  guess I'm kinda lost. Are you asking is it "in your face" or is it "up your kilt?

nela

Ken may keep the contents of his kilt to himself, or at least shared only with those inclined to discover them.   Whether he has a MIDI interface for him to use the contents of his kilt to make music on a computer...  all I can say is I sincerely hope there's no such thing but expect that there is. 

- Zurf

I played trumpet and my wife had pity on me and got me a guitar because trumpet by itself gets nerve wracking real fast.
I took two lessons at a local music store to get an idea how guitar worked and then took it home to learn new songs.
Playing with guitarists better than I am jumpstarts my progress.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I am really getting a bad visual on the kilt thing, Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I am really getting a bad visual on the kilt thing, Zurf.

Why tell me, it's Ken's kilt.   big_smile

- Zurf