Topic: capo

whats the difference in the size of a capo
There are kysler capo in the local 2nd hand shop  both say they are for 6 string guitar but one is considerly  bigger than the other

Now my mate says there capos for 12 and 6 string   but the packet on both says 6 string  so what the difference

cheers
jamie

Re: capo

It depends how wide the neck of the guitar is.
A capo for a standard steel string acoustic can be slightly smaller than that for a nylon string classical. The classical will normally have a wider neck. Another important difference between those capos is that the fret board of a classical is flat and the capo must be straight. The good standard steel string capos are (usually) slightly curved (because the fret board is slightly curved) and therefore it's important to use the correct "shape" capo too. If you don't, you will get intonation and buzzing problems as the capo will not depress all the strings equally.

Thanks for the info Stonebridge.I feel i,m going to pirchase that Martin000-C GTE i,ve been going on about.So that is a small size acoustic/electric so i should purchase the small curved capo right ?

cheers.
What make of capo would you suggest

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-12-02 09:32:48)

Just make sure the capo is suitable for steel 6 string. (The majority you will come across are like these) It should should say on the packaging. It doesn't matter too much if the capo is a little too wide. What is important is that it is the right shape. (Not flat on a curved fretboard or vice versa. Although it can work out ok in some cases - in my case it didn't and I didn't notice until after I tried the capo on the guitar back home.) The assistant in the 2nd hand shop is probably not going to be able to help. Good luck.
I have a 2 Shubb "Deluxe" capos. One "S2" flat for the classical, and one "S1" curved for the steel string.
http://www.shubb.com/capos/index.htm