Topic: WEIRD!?!?

Why isn't there a 13th floor in most US buildings?
Little story: the first floor in BELGIUM is above the ground floor, whe have a house with stores when you enter, and our first floor, second floor are above these shops. A true but sad story, a bunch of german youngsters wanted to perform a "bungee jump " from a 10 store building. This was a present for the anniversary of one of these boys. They had calculated everything from the top to the first floor with special equippement, on the helmet of the "happy birthday guy" was a camera, but they forgot 1 thing, THAT FIRST FLOOR, was considered as a European-like first floor.
RESULT: THE ELASTIC CHORD WAS 1 or 2 meter TOO LONG and the poor guy, well he filmed his own death.
Are there some other differences? or anecdotes?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WEIRD!?!?

I saw this, or another one many years ago in a film called "The Many Faces of Death".  There is a series of films out on things like this.  It also shows things like parachutists falling in an alligator farm in florida.  Gruesome films.  You might look up the series, just for your curiosity.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't understand what that has to do with 13th floor, since there was no 13th floor attached
to the building. But if you must know, it's due to the number 13 being an unlucky number.
It's sad that someone has to die at such a young age, but stupid is as stupid does! Thats why
they have laws 'bout thing like that. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
                                                                                                               getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

if this is true, no 13th floor on a U.S building because it is considered unlucky then I will have to think about how crazy I think the americans are.
This is the most stupidist thing I have heard in a long time.

stupid stupid stupid.

I am going to write a song about the thirteenth floor, a happy go lucky tune.....when i remember

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Good idea, upyerkilt.  I agree with you

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Just thought I'd drop in and say boo.

Here in Canada we also have no thirteenth floors on our tall buildings.I grew up understanding that it was because it was considered unlucky and never gave it a thought until I grew up,at which time I said to myself...stupid ...stupid...stupiddd.   Good choices of words Ken

If the thirteenth is so unlucky why isn't there a big rush to move in on the seventh or eleventh floor.Your closer to the ground in case of a fire... or whatever,you will have better odds at winning a lottery,you won't have to worry as much about broken mirrors or black cats,or...if your on Wall Street your guaranteed to be rich(never mind about the Wall Street one it doesn't matter what floor your on lol)  and the list goes on.
Bottom line....People are stupid(not all people,just people with money)

Kenny in Kanada

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The building wherein I have my office has 18 floors, including a 13th.  I think it's more common in hotels than office buildings, and also less common among newer buildings than older. 

Of course, in any given building with enough stories, there is a 13th floor.  The only difference is whether it's CALLED a 13th floor.  I don't believe in luck, or rather I believe in making your own luck.  I'd live in apartment 1313 on the corner of 13th and M Streets (M is the 13th letter) if I got a discount. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Superstitions are a bunch of unscientific, unproven myths created to generate money for their creators and/or inflict fear amongst the gullible, much like many other 'trends' large masses of humans use to guide the way they live their lives. It's utter nonsense, in my humble opinion....................But hey !, to each their own.........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I was born on the 13th lol cant say its been unlucky for me but I'm not superstitious either smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

10 (edited by getfiddle 2008-12-01 01:28:34)

I'm not big on superstitions either, The only bad thing I ever had happen to me on the 13th
(which by the way wasn't even on a Friday) was when I broke my collarbone. That happened
on a Sunday. And not everyone in America is superstitious, or crazy. Every country has there
superstitions and crazies also, no countries are without!
                                                                          getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

My job involves me going out and distributing catalogues to peoples homes. Last week, i went to where the Americans had one of their bases here in the Uk. It's a place called Bentwaters, at Rendlesham.   I delivered catalalogues to the houses where the Americans used to live, before they departed in 1992. The homes were opened to the public in 1994, for sale or rent. Anyways, my point is (sorry, i do waffle a lot!) is that no road on that American built estate of housing, had a number 13..!

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100