Topic: THANKS TO UPYERKILT: Bands replacing a member: more or less popular?

Before I start this, this thread is inspired by something UYK has written about AC/DC's leadsingers.
1) BON SCOTT versus BRIAN JOHNSTON. He suggested that if BRIAN would have been the first leadsinger and replaced by BON SCOTT a lot of people would have written that BRIAN was a lot better than BON.
SO HERE THE THREAD: the impact of changing 1 important member.
1) QUEEN: We all know that the late FREDDY MERCURY was a genious, one of the best
pop/rock/hardrock voices ever. But the most important contributor here is BRIAN MAY. So today they are back in business with PAUL RODGERS (ex Free, ex- BAD COMPANY) AND NOW QUEEN.
In the history of rock music, band members have come and gone, but nothing is more controversial or dangerous then installing a new lead singer in an established rock outfit.
2) GENESIS: they started in 1967 with PETER GABRIEL as frontman, he left in 1975 or 1976 and in stead of searching another singer it was PHIL COLLINS (drummer) who took the lead vocals.
Am I alone or wrong if I say that their voices are not that much different?
3) DEEP PURPLE: is a lot more complicated, the most commercially successful line-up featured Ian Gillan (vocals), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Jon Lord (keyboards), Roger Glover (bass guitar) and Ian Paice (drums). Gillian left and was replaced by David Coverdale, Blackmore left and was replaced by Bolin. They had two great albums: BURN, SRORMBRINGER.
4) BLACK SABBATH: the "forced" departure of OZZY OSBOURNE was not really hot news, if I remember, replaced by RONNIE JAMES DIO
5) FLEETWOOD MAC: here we have probably the most crazy changes of musicians and players ever, PETER GREEN left, I can tell you the whole story being a Fleetwood Mac fan. FANTASTIC band with PETER GREEN, and FANTASTIC band with Buckingham and Nicks.
6) VAN HALEN: when DAVID LEE ROTH left they lost a real "show member" who could play the crowd like nothing, he was a great loss.
DO YOU KNOW OTHER BANDS, worse or better after the departure of a frontman?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THANKS TO UPYERKILT: Bands replacing a member: more or less popular?

Lieven you forgot.

Syd Barret being replaced in Pink Floyd by David Gilmour. No more did people see a drug fuelled guitarist/singer on stage from this band. I dont know who would be best, two different guys, two very different personallities. Both gave so much to the band in differnt ways. Their first two albums seem to be from different bands. But I think if Syd stayed with them, they would never have had the success they did. Especially with wish you were here or the wall. without syd not being around these albums would never have been written.

Rainbow I believe had a few singers too. I really did not like one of them but I am not too sure which one. I have forgotten their names.

Sex pistols replaced Glen for Syd. Syd was much more popular and even still today Glen gets told he cannot replace Syd, even though it was Syd that replaced him to start with and Glen can also play the bass guitar whereas Syd couldnt. Crazy fans!!!!!!

Iron Maiden: Whats his name? lol, paul De who? the one everyone forgets but he thrives on his glory days of being Iron maiden's original singer. Bruce Dickenson was bar far the best replacement they could ever have hoped for. In the 90's Brucey left them and he got replced by some other guy that I did not like, soon they all came to their senses and got Brucey boy back and made a superb album.

Guns'n; roses.....Just brought out a new album after working on it for an estimated 15-17 years.....just not the same without Izzy, Slash and Duff. All guns and roses are now is Axle Rose and his backing band. But the album is good but not guns 'n' roses as I knew them from the 80's

Small faces/ rod stewart and the faces:
After Steve marriot left the band to persue a new band project ( Humble pie) the small faces got together with Rod, this made Rod very very big indeed, he surpassed the fame that the small faces got. Without them he would have been nothing, they gave the music the sound. Ronnie Lane was a superb songwriter, very underestimated in my opinion. So if Steve did not break away then there would maybe be no Rod Stewart, or perhaps there would be, who knows? sliding doors?

And last there is The Jam, Now known as " from the jam" only Paul Weller missing but he is replaced by Russel Hastings on vocals and guitar and now also have David Moore palying keyboard. To me the Jam without Paul Weller is not the same BUT, these four guys have brought back the magic music and they do it just as good as Paul Weller did it, only difference really is Paul wrote the majority of songs. But dont worry, they are writting their own stuff now and can perform with the same magic as they did years ago. Russel also sings just like Paul. He greaw up a very big jam fan so he was already heavily infuenced by them, this leads him to singing pauls song the way Paul sang them , sort of initaing a bit, but dam ngood stuff as far as I am concerned.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken, do you remember the band "THE HAPPY MONDAYS" with Shaun Ryder and the COMPLETELY USELESS guy named BEZ, who danced on a silly way, with two African "maracas" and his FEZ.
I had the honor to sit in their trailer when still backstage doc on that big festival.
I was stoned, just by inhaling 10 people's smoke of marihuana.
Bez meant nothing for that band on artistic point of view, but HE MADE THE SHOW, just by running around on stage, not following rhythm and just shaking  sometimes with his maracas.
So was he important: YES, was he USEFUL: NO.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

LMAO Lieven
yeaj i remember Bez and the happy mondays.

He won celebratey big brother a few years ago. He still admits to this day he cannot dance and has no rythum but the fans loved him. I tihnk mostly because he was never sober and did not care about how he looked. But he had fun and that is what it is all about.
So I would tend to disagree with saying he was useless. he showed fans how to have fun without playing an instrument. Too many people I know will not join in with musical activities because they say they cannot play an instrument or they cannot sing but music is about having fun as well as entertaining.
Important? yes because he was a visual display of the happy mondays band,without him they would not have been the same. They would have sounded the same but just would not have been the same.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending