Topic: "The Cracker and the Ring"

Hello all,

This is the reason for my absence from posting mesages for the last couple of weeks

A week or so ago Helena (Old Doll) sent me these wonderful lyrics that she had written especially for me. I wrote the music and enlisted Russell Harding to record a lead guitar track and Arkady to to record the bells to help me create the song. Thank you guys for your help.

A special thank you to Helena for the lyrics of the true story.

The recording is on: http://www.myspace.com/rogerguppy 

The Cracker and the Ring. Words by Helena Donovan, music by Roger Guppy

A waltz and each chord is for one bar duration.

[Em][B7][Em][Em]

Oh [Em]darling [Am]girl I [Em]love so [Am]much,

I [Em]picked a [B7]special [Em]ring, [Em]

A [Em]golden [Am]band of [Em]dia[Am]monds

To [Em]profess my [B7]every[Em]thing, [Em]

My[C] proposal [D]will be [G]memora[Em]ble

For [C]you and your [D]fami[G]ly,[G]

[Em]Nestled with[Am]in a [Em]cracker:[Am]

Will Thomas [Em]Smith do [B7]this for [Em]me? [Em]

[Em]Will he [Am]place my [Em]ring of [Am]love

In Wedgwood [Em]wrap or [B7]Japan[Em]ese, [Em]

Or [Em]gilded, [Am]shiny, [Em]foil with [Am]turtle

[Em]Doves and [B7]honey[Em]bees?[Em]

[C]I will [D]tell him how [G]I love [Em]you,

You’re my [C]perfect [D]love for [G]life,[G]

I’ll [Em]ask him [Am]with this [Em]ring to [Am]write,

The [Em]motto, [B7]“Be my [Em]wife". [Em]

[Em]When we [Am]share my [Em]loving [Am]gift

Our [Em]ears will [B7]hear the [Em]snap, [Em]

[Em]I will [Am]see your [Em]beaming [Am]smile

As the [Em]ring falls [B7]on your [Em]lap, [Em]

[C]I will [D]place this [G]banded [Em]circle

On your [C]finger so [D]you will [G]know,[G]

Our [Em]love will [Am]keep for[Em]everlike[Am]

The [Em]crackers [B7]we un[Em]fold.[Em]

Tom [Em]Smith will [Am]tell his [Em]story[Am]from

My [Em]lips as [B7]I kneel [Em]down, [Em]

How he [Em]went from [Am]making [Em]pastries [Am]

To [Em]crackers [B7]for the [Em]crowns, [Em]

[C]He will [D]tell of [G]his royal [Em]warrants

With this [C]cracker [D]made for [G]us,[G]

A [Em]toast to [Am]Tom, his [Em]cracker [Am]story,

For all [Em]occasions [B7]there’s a [Em]must. [Em]

Instrumental with voiceover.

[Em][Am][Em][Am][Em][B7][Em][Em]

[C][D][G][Em][C][D][G][G]

[Em]Well Sir, [Am]did your [Em]love sur[Am]vive

The [Em]years without the [B7]cracker and [Em]ring,[Em]

[Em]When you [Am]sent it [Em]to Tom [Am]Smith,

You [Em]omitted [B7]one little [Em]thing, [Em]

[C]You for[D]got to [G]put your a[Em]ddress

And [C]also [D]sign your [G]name,[G]

Your [Em]engagement [Am]ring is [Em]still with [Am]us,

[Em]Safely under [B7]lock and [Em]chain. [Em]

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: "The Cracker and the Ring"

Roger sounds like everything came together very well the mix was good I could understand all the words and the bells were a nice addition to this piece well done smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

So that's why you've been hiding. smile
Well worth the time spent in the recording dungeons.This piece has a nice flow to it.
I really enjoyed the mix with the bells and the lead guitar."The Power of Chordie" Very Cool
Well Done Roger,Ark,Russ and of course Lena.I am curious about the storyline.Is this a personal true story?not being nosy. smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Lightning Fingers Russ,

Thank you again for your help with this song, As you know we wanted a Christmassy feel to it and Ark's bell chimes, plus the last minute addition of what I can only describe as a stick with 12 bells on (borrrowed overnight from my friend's music shop), which I rattled between lines, added the finishing touches to it. I did work very closely with Helena and this was the 10th recording that I sent to her. She is probably fed up with listening to it by now lol.

Thank you Kenny,

I was very excited when I saw the lyrics that Helena sent me, she certainly has a way with words. As for the truth behind the story line. Well that is up to out little Irish wordsmith to explain, so I will leave that one to her.

Roger

Thank You" Roger Guppy,

for taking my lyrics and adding music to them. I thought youd like doing this song
as you like romantic themes.

To  Russell and Ark, a great big "Thank You" Also.   Your all so kind to take this on board to completion..

Its a lovely recording of an old Fashioned song and love story.

Ken! This was something i read some time ago now while researching something else. The romance
of it totally appealed to me, so i tried to get into the senders thoughts of that time when writing the lyrics.

Yes ! The ring he sent is still in the safe of "Tom Smiths" Christmas Cracker company, 81 years later.

Blessings on all of you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Well done on the final mix Roger sounds great..
Nice bit of guitar work there Russ.
and Lena glad the bell chimes fitted with the overall flavour of an interesting song.
Oh and Roger/Russ put me down in the  Campanology section of the Recording forum lol
Ark

That sounds good....nice and tight

Thank you Ark,

You are the man we can always count on when something out of the ordinary is needed. It is great that, to use Kenny's phrase, 'The Power of Chordie' gives us the opportunity to enlist others to help with our recordings.

Hi Riddler,

Thank you too for your comments. I hope that some of our Chordie friends who are unable to produce recordings will utilise the services offered in the Recording section so their work can be heard also.

Roger

As the head potentate of the chordie recording forum I hereby bequieth to you the order of the bell making sounds lol (no fooling your listed) smile

arkady wrote:

Oh and Russ put me down in the  Campanology section of the Recording forum lol
Ark

A great song Roger - well done. You didn't give song lessons to Magna Carta a few decades back did you.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Hi everyone,

Great song and the mix sounded real good Roger, good job to all.

Thanks again to Old Doll for showing and sharing "Christmas Crackers" with this dumb ole county boy who had never heard of these wonderful gifts. I still can't believe I'm the only one that's never heard of them...:).

Fatstrings

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Scott your not the only one lol this is the first for me as well smile

fatstrings wrote:

Thanks again to Old Doll for showing and sharing "Christmas Crackers" with this dumb ole county boy who had never heard of these wonderful gifts. I still can't believe I'm the only one that's never heard of them...:)

Hi Buvvy,

Thank you for you comments. I am not quite sure about the Magna Carta reference though, should I be pleased or insulted? I know I am old but not quite that old yet!!

Thanks too Fatstrings for your comments also. It is Helena's gift as a wordsmith that make the song.

Russ and Scott. I have great sorrow for you Americans who have not had the pleasure of pulling a cracker at Christmas. As kids we always looked forward to that, and the squabbling afterwards over who would have what out of the adult's crackers.

Roger

Crackers eh? "Jeeze I thought we were poor" lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

Russ and Scott. I have great sorrow for you Americans who have not had the pleasure of pulling a cracker at Christmas. As kids we always looked forward to that, and the squabbling afterwards over who would have what out of the adult's crackers.

Hey Roger Lord Of The Rings by Magna Carta was a very unique piece of music. It was in a class of it's own for the time.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

buvvy wrote:

Hey Roger Lord Of The Rings by Magna Carta was a very unique piece of music. It was in a class of it's own for the time.

In that case I am honoured. I do not remember the song and as Lord of the Rings is one of my favourite novels (and now of course a favourite film trilogy) I will go and see if I can find it on YouTube. Thank you.

Roger