Topic: STRUMMING

In most of the music books I have, like for beginners, or better players, you find a lot of easy songs to play, although easy: what is easy.
I saw "HELP" by the BEATLES a tricky song, it seems so easy but it is definitely not a good beginners song. They start in A, followed by C#m (easiest way to play is taking the A chord on the 5th fret, and down to the 4th fret.
What you often see is "the strumming" like D  D  D  U D U D.
QUESTION:
IS IT WRONG TO PLAY IT YOUR WAY? Like D D D U D D D, I play most the down strumming pattern, and I don't see a lot of difference. AM I WRONG or not?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: STRUMMING

Hi Lieven,

Unless you can sing exactly like the Beatles (or any other star for that matter) and want to earn a living as an impersonator, I see no point in slavishly trying to copy their way of playing.

Put your own stamp on the song and sing and play it the way that it sounds right to you. Many artists have hit songs by recording covers in a completely different style to the original.

For example listen to these three versions of Over The Rainbow:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07j … re=related
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwTdqPkl … re=related
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

That is my humble opinion for what it is worth.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It is not wrong to play it your way.  Artists who first perform songs don't play it the same way every time.  Listen to James Taylor Live, one of my favorite albums.  He changes up his own songs quite a bit. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Do it your way, if not you may as well listen to a cd!!!!

An Irish radio station dj has spent the last year getting guest singers and bands to come on his show, plug their gig or album release or whatever.  His price is they have to sing an acoustic version of a disco hit.  Abba's Dancing Queen played as a slow torch song on an acoustic guitar with a great vocal was incredible. 

Take also Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in The Jar.  A traditional Irish song given the metal treatment! fantastic.  Likewise 9 inch Nail's Hurt given the C&W treatment by Johnny Cash.....best song ever bar none.....

Enjoy what you do,

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

What Zurf said  "It's not wrong to play it your way"  sums it up real good.

Badeye cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

What Zurf said  "It's not wrong to play it your way"  sums it up real good.

Badeye cool

I disagree ....... I think it is wrong not to play it your own way ,:lol:

yes the same meaning!!!

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

We must really be open minded when answering this question. If one is auditioning for Juliard, M.I.T., or Berkley,(or equivalent) and one is given a specific piece of music to learn, one better best learn the music to the 'T'(exactly as written and played). If one is auditioning for a job with a tribute band who makes their money by sounding "just like the record", one better learn the parts 'just like the record'.( or source given to learn)

On the other hand now, if one is playing simply to satisfy themself and/or immediate family members, and/or friends, the "I'm gonna play it my way and to hail with what traditionalists' think" mindset is perfectly O.K.

Me personally, I fall a little bit in the middle of this mix. I  like for the people listening to what I'm playing be able to recognize the piece without me having to tell them after the fact. And at the same time, I'm not going to be overly consumed by playing every note exactly the same as the original recording of what I'm playing..............unless I'm playing originals, then all bets are off. If I make a mistake the first time around, I play it the same way  the second time around.............

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I also agree,but I seem to grow with a song and as I get better at the song I get to leaning more to the original as far as adding licks , hammer ons or a strum pattern.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Playing in a cover band in bars, a new release better be pretty close to the recording but as years go by the band will make wee changes here and there that will become substantial over time.
Ever play a song and then get a request for it? What do you do about that?

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

There's prob some parts of a cover song that it's better not to embellish or flourish.  There are certain riffs or even vocal part which may not be so good to tamper with.  Audience is looking for a hook sometimes and it can put them off.  Just my humble opinion, but you should think of some parts of a song as perhaps more "sacred" than others.