Topic: GOODBYE LENNY

This is a song I dedicated to the late Lenny Bruce, its a laid back blues but reminiscent of the New Orleans street jams and this was a jam session I had with myself and my recorder this evening, I used a bass, drums one rhythm guitar and two separate lead solos and included a slide steel Dobro for the atmosphere. I met Lenny briefly in Los Angeles at one of his gigs on sunset strip, several weeks later he overdosed on heroin a sad loss for improv comedy you can listen on the myspace link at the left (website) just click it on when you have a little time smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: GOODBYE LENNY

hi russ....Ab? smart ass, nice tribute to Lenny. while on your site i listened to rumpy pumpy...was it?
nice driving beat,but i'd lay off the helium if i was you it gets addictive lol big_smile

is it snowing in port washington yet? cool

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Very cool.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Phill it was Rumpty Humpty lol and the vocal effect was a patch on my Boss br=8 called "the chipmunks" the reason it was in Ab is that the rhythm tracks(guitar,bass,drums) were transfered from an old cassette to my digital so I had to retune all the additional instruments a half step down and both songs were rendered in my new Reaper Recording software with a lot of help from riddler(Randy) in setting it up the wav recording is much better but the file is to big for myspace so I had to convert it to mp3 and it lost a lot of punch, Yes it snowed up north and we had a few flurries in Port Washington but the heavy stuff is on its way when you have some time we can video chat on google let me know when your free and thank you for your comments smile

Phill Williams wrote:

hi russ....Ab? smart ass, nice tribute to Lenny. while on your site i listened to rumpy pumpy...was it?
nice driving beat,but i'd lay off the helium if i was you it gets addictive lol big_smile

is it snowing in port washington yet? cool

phill

thanks Stephen glad you enjoyed it and hows your recording comming along? it takes a little time to get comfortable with mixing and all the effects and editing tools (it did for me smile ) keep on recording and writting thats the only way that works,time smile

06sc500 wrote:

Very cool.

I haven't done a lot lately, as I've been pretty busy with other stuff, but I'm getting a better feel for how to work with Audacity.  Once I have some more time, maybe over Christmas time, I'll work on some more recordings.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I am working with the Reaper now and for awhile it had me stymied but riddler gave me some advise and the last two songs on myspace were edited in this new program its reallly a cool program and once you dig into it results follow smile

06sc500 wrote:

I haven't done a lot lately, as I've been pretty busy with other stuff, but I'm getting a better feel for how to work with Audacity.  Once I have some more time, maybe over Christmas time, I'll work on some more recordings.

Hey Russ
Variety is the spice of life so it is told and musically you are a very spicey chap  smile
Two great tracks there
Well done...
Ark

9 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-11-21 22:20:13)

Thank you ark,I do enjoy a lot of genres and I never really know which one will pop up when it comes to an idea for a song so I just move with the groove so to speak, it feels natural and makes it easier to lay down tracks when I dont have to force it,I appreciate your comments "spicey chap" almost sounds like a song title lol hmm....:) 

arkady wrote:

Hey Russ
Variety is the spice of life so it is told and musically you are a very spicey chap  smile
Two great tracks there
Well done...
Ark

hi russ
i knew what it was called, i just preferred "rumpy pumpy" it's the posh english word for you know what?
i tried to down load that google video thing but the prog hit a snag somewheres and didnt load...i'll try again

phill

ps theres a voice changer in that expaudio studio program, thats where i thought you got it...silly me

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Let me guess lol and give that google thing another shot or two its really cool and I never heard of expaudio must be some software from Europe smile

Phill Williams wrote:

hi russ
i knew what it was called, i just preferred "rumpy pumpy" it's the posh english word for you know what?

Nice tune Russell. Congrats on another quality composition...very hard to classify...Country Blues perhaps?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I really enloyed that russell,you are a very talanted person. Also pretty lucky too have seen and meat lenny bruce. I was lucky one time I got too meet and help a little when Jimmy Reed came too a local club here in california. It was in the late sixties or early seventys. He died a couple of months later.                   dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

thanks geo and I dont know how to classify it either smile it felt like a new orleans dixieland blues kind of thing to me I guess its a good thing in a way not being able to put it in a slot and say its a this or that song so I will only say its my music and none is quite the same as the other if that makes any sense lol but as long as there are people who listen to it thats good enough for me smile

geoaguiar wrote:

Nice tune Russell. Congrats on another quality composition...very hard to classify...Country Blues perhaps?

dino I appreciate your comments it was a highlite meeting him because I had all his records and I used to laugh my a#* off he was off the wall to be sure,it must have been a thrill to meet Jimmy Reed and I was in california around the same time in the late sixties funny how some things stay with your memories, and thanks again for the nice words smile

dino48 wrote:

I really enloyed that russell,you are a very talanted person. Also pretty lucky too have seen and meat lenny bruce. I was lucky one time I got too meet and help a little when Jimmy Reed came too a local club here in california. It was in the late sixties or early seventys. He died a couple of months later.                   dino

Hi Russ,

A rather different style from you this time and a very enjoyable piece too.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you Roger,I really never know whats going to come out when I start recording I hit on a new idea earlier this mornning and recorded it so I woulden't forget which can happen even if you write the chords and lyrics out,you forget the "feel" and a recording jogs the memory better then looking at some scribbles on paper thanks again for your comments smile 

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Russ,

A rather different style from you this time and a very enjoyable piece too.

Roger

Hi Russ smile
I don't know how I missed this one but I did...must'a had a dyslexic moment. lol
Excellent work on combining all instruments and the final mix.Real nice work with the slide guitar.
I like it. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kenny I appreciate your comments,dyslexic moment? is that kind of the same thing as a "brain f*&t" lol the slide really gives it a laid back blues feel and the mixing took a little time to highlight all the tracks but I'm pleased with the results and I'm working a few more ideas I saved over the weekend on my recorder I'll have them up on myspace after thanksgiving, did you get your mic problems squared away? be chatting on google with ya when its fixed smile

KAP54 wrote:

Hi Russ smile
I don't know how I missed this one but I did...must'a had a dyslexic moment. lol
Excellent work on combining all instruments and the final mix.Real nice work with the slide guitar.
I like it. smile

Kenny

Hi Russell,

Loved "Good Bye lenny. Great sound.

The Gremlins one ? Nah!. It reminded me of the M50 trolls we have on a radio station here..

It took 6 minutes to download a file on media fire ? Does this happen with everyone i wonder?. Then i have to run all anti virus scans to wipe away all the other c### it brings with it! Its a pity but i find this puts me off going there. Anyone else have the same problem? with media fire ?

Your one busy man Sir.

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I do ...too much baggage there..sorry

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

22 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-11-30 17:15:57)

Thank you Helena and yes I did notice the same thing, and 6 minutes to download a file is a long time it may have to do with the speed of your provider and your computer im running road runner with a vista other then mediafire there are other options like google gmail and you send it and I think there is a setting to delete cookies on the tools menu for your browser also smile

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Russell,

Loved "Good Bye lenny. Great sound.

The Gremlins one ? Nah!. It reminded me of the M50 trolls we have on a radio station here..

It took 6 minutes to download a file on media fire ? Does this happen with everyone i wonder?. Then i have to run all anti virus scans to wipe away all the other c### it brings with it! Its a pity but i find this puts me off going there. Anyone else have the same problem? with media fire ?

Your one busy man Sir.

Old Doll