Topic: Alternate Tuning

Ok so I want to try and learn In Time by Mark Collie (from the punisher movie).  It states that I have to tune to D-A-D-G-A-D.  Which I assume I can do with my electronic tuner.  However, a friend of mine who plays told me not to do it yet.  I have only been playing for a few months now and I pretty much have all the basic chords down.  I want to play this song more for fun than anything (as will most songs...lol).  Also, while searching the net on how to tune to the above, I thought I came across chords for a guitar tuned to the above.  So the other question I have if the Open G chord has the same fingering as the the G chord for the above alternate tuning?  Thanks in advanced for your help

Re: Alternate Tuning

Did your friend give any reason for you not doing it yet?

He said something about wrecking my guitar or perhaps it might be difficult to put it back to standard tuning....something like that.

mo_jo wrote:

He said something about wrecking my guitar or perhaps it might be difficult to put it back to standard tuning....something like that.

Go for it! Might be a bit of a challenge at times to get retuned to standard tuning but not much of a problem if you have a tuner...  Wrecking the guitar? Nah, not with that tuning.  Experimenting with different sounds and tuning is what it's about...go forth and make some music (or noise)...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

mo_jo wrote:

Ok so I want to try and learn In Time by Mark Collie (from the punisher movie).  It states that I have to tune to D-A-D-G-A-D.  Which I assume I can do with my electronic tuner.  However, a friend of mine who plays told me not to do it yet.  I have only been playing for a few months now and I pretty much have all the basic chords down.  I want to play this song more for fun than anything (as will most songs...lol).  Also, while searching the net on how to tune to the above, I thought I came across chords for a guitar tuned to the above.  So the other question I have if the Open G chord has the same fingering as the the G chord for the above alternate tuning?  Thanks in advanced for your help

No...you change the tuning, you change the notes, therefore you have to finger them differently.  This is a great tuning to use, I play a couple acoustic tunes using it.  Good luck!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot