Topic: BAGPIPES AND KILTS?

I believe as written in my other thread that the big Scottish bagpipe is far the most popular.
Why are Scottish clans are wearing kilts? I have a friend who is married with a Scottish girl, and on his wedding picture taken in Scotland he wears a kilt.
He told me that all Scottish people belong to a clan each clan having a TYPICAL and DIFFERENT kilt made of woolen cloth in a tartan pattern.
Who can tell me more about the clans? Do bagpipes have a same tartan pattern?

I just found somewhere that Irish, Welsh and people from Cornwall have a kilt too, but for me the only people wearing a kilt on a regular base are Scottish.
Is this correct?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BAGPIPES AND KILTS?

Hi Docs,

I had  only ever known Scots to wear the kilt !  But! It has become fashionable here  now to wear a kilt for Stags parties,
Or weddings.

My sons have worn them at Scottish weddings. They Just hire them for the day. I reckon a true blue Scot would own one with his  own familyTartan. They are all different depending on the Clan your from!

UYK, is the one to ask, he'd know best on this one..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

UYK? WHERE ARE YOU??
What is the history about kilts and clans?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Sorry,

I did see this and thought of replying but then thought I couldnt really be bothered to be honest.

There are loads of websites that are dedicated to this. So instead of me typing for ages on what i think or what I have been taught, here are some websites.

http://www.albanach.org/kilt.html

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/clans

http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/12_3.html

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Had the good fortune to visit Scotland twice.
Heard some military guys that could flat out play bagpipes at the military tattoo in Edinborough. I found it stirring.
A Scotsman told me what a man has under his kilt.
1. His socks.
2. The future of the Scottish Nation.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

My own answer to the question, "what are you wearing under that kilt?" is very simple: "Lipstick."

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I believe that a SCOT when asked what he is wearing under his kilt can take his bagpipe or guitar and start to play and sing = "THE ANSWER MY FRIEND IS BLOWING IN THE WIND"
I was watching National Geographic, and it is again about LOCH NESS and Nessie.
The money scientists spend to know the truth = a fortune.
In 503 AD "NESSIE" was reported for the first time by 2 monks.
I should propose to empty the whole lake, and refill it back afterwards, putting all the fishes a few days in big containers.

In 1985, my brother and his family and my wife and I, chartered a nice, comfortable power boat for an overnight on Loch Ness.
We tied up for the night at a dock near the ruins of a wonderful castle. After walking over the ruins we returned to the boat and the fog rolled in and the night sounds had the children in stitches while we told stories of Nessie.
The following afternoon we walked several miles to the Loch Ness Exposition. We arrived just as they were closing. A gentleman dressed magnificently in full kilt introduced himself as the owner of the exposition and let us in to purchase some badly needed items. He then loaded us all into his beautiful Mercedes and drove us back to the boat.                                                                    We invited him aboard for a wee dram of scotch and he accepted and delighted us all with his wonderful stories.
The drinking water in the boat tank tasted like mildew and our host reassured us the water out of the loch would taste much better. He was right, of course. Our coffee the next morning tasted a little like peat but was very fine.
Everybody we talked to believed in the Loch Ness Monster. We were not surprised.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Some versions of the 'Irish National Costume' and Irish Dancing uniforms include a kilt for males (not plaid but plain colour) but I think they (whoever decides what 'National Costume' is) just made that up. In any case, Ireland and Scotland seem to have been almost part of a greater 'Gaelic' nation rather than seperate nations historically.

Saw a hiking kilt for sale in an outfitter along the AT (Appalachian Trail).  It was so hot that day I was tempted, but just couldn't pull the trigger. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Saw a hiking kilt for sale in an outfitter along the AT (Appalachian Trail).  It was so hot that day I was tempted, but just couldn't pull the trigger. 

- Zurf

Zurf,
You should have got it and tried it. They are superb for waling/hiking.
Only bad thing about them is they do not protect you from Ticks and the dreaded scottish midge.

And Nessie is real ( or so we will keep saying since so many spend money to come see if they can catch  glimpse) And it is a loch not a lake ( we scots are very fussy about this name, and it is not pronounced "LOCK" you have got to get the ch correctly as if you are trying to cough up some phlem)

And the big question " what is up a scotsman's kilt" well the truth is............ whatever ye want. lots or perhaps most will wear nothing,this makes others think they have to wear nothing but loads still wear underwear. Me personally, what is und my kilt? now that is a question.

Ken

Another important question and answer:  What is the difference between a 'skirt' and a 'kilt'?

If the guy wearing it looks like he'll kick your @$$ if you call it a skirt, then it's a kilt.

I have hiked (backpacked, really) in my Utilikilt, and i found it to be very practical.

--David St. Hubbins

a kilt is known as a dress not a skirt.
I have no idea why but i just like correcting folk that call it a skirt. lol

But I like yur definition.

It is a kilt!!! lol

Ken

What are all those attributes you find on a kilt? Does a kilt have pockets or do they "stick" underneath a kilt different pockets, which could give us some great funny situations, like when he has to take a wallet coming from an inner pocket.
And IF THE MEN ARE DRESSED IN A QUIT FEMININE OBJECT, IS IT FOR SURE THAT THE WOMEN IN SCOTLAND WEAR THE PANTS. tongue  lol

the kilt has no pockets, you wear a sporran with the kilt. that is the thing that sits in front of the guys groin.

Also the kilt is not a feminine clothes wear neither. it is very masculine. Just because a few countries in the world do not have a guy wearing a dress/skirt like object of clothing doesnt make it feminine.
Also, PANTS? ,pants to us are boxershorts, underwear. I know pants in the U.S and other places call them pants but they are TROUSERS.
And women also do wear a kilt, which is different from the men's, they have a kilt that would be classed as a skirt.

I know most people in the world like to tease and joke about the scots wearing a kilt and say they wear a skirt or womans clothes, but this is either through pure ignorance, arrogance or just sheer cheek. and most of these idiots that do not take time to learn things would never say it straight to a kilt wearing scotsman unless he was looking for some argy bargy argro. Or if he did and he was joking he would better make sure he is seen as joking.

Ken

Plus, in my experience, chicks really REALLY dig guys in kilts.  big_smile

--David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

Another important question and answer:  What is the difference between a 'skirt' and a 'kilt'?

If the guy wearing it looks like he'll kick your @$$ if you call it a skirt, then it's a kilt.

I have hiked (backpacked, really) in my Utilikilt, and i found it to be very practical.

Saw a guy at Home Depot wearing one of those utilikilts.  Going by the scars on his arms, the creases from hard work and sun on his face, and the breadth of his shoulders, no one has EVER dared to consider that thing a skirt. 

I've got a friend here who has been teaching me to improve my fly fishing.  He's an immigrant from Scotland and enjoys wearing his kilt to formal events.  He's acclimated very nicely to West Virginia though, and his usual casual attire is a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off and bib overalls in denim.  You'd think he was a native son until he opens his mouth.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude