Topic: beginning classical guitar duets...

Hey everyone!  I've been lazy the last month or so...had to have a couple of surgeries which resulted in some major complications...but I'm back now and ready for more advice!

I am teaching private lessons to one of my adult step-kids.  She is just like her father and I who both taught Jr. High band, choir, orchestra and such so she doesn't really need to learn to read music and she is learning so much faster than I have literature for.  (Remember, I taught JR. HIGH kids who thought they all needed an amplifier as much or more than their actual guitars...)

Anywho...I would really appreciate some suggestions for beginning classical guitar duets.  I can get one or two from each of the "books" I already have, but it would be so much greater to have a whole book of just duets.  I am beginning to take music from a church hymnal and writing it out for two guitars.  Holy cow, it is so much work! (and my transcriptions are not very legible...)

Help me so I don't have to spend time on this instead of just getting to the playing and enjoyment of playing!!!

thanks-  laurie

Re: beginning classical guitar duets...

Just a thought Laurie,

You say your "student" already has the skill of reading music... so you might try playing some traditional piano duets.  The notation is the same with the exception that middle C is played on the 5th string 3rd fret on the guitar, and the bass cleff omitted.  Transposition should be redundant with that common point of origin.

Good luck however as I personally have not seen any guitar books of only duet arrangements.

Take Care;
  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: beginning classical guitar duets...

You know what's nice for a duet?  canon in d. 

I don't know if the chords or tab is out there but the rhythm guitar is D / A / Bm / F#m / G / D / G / A repeat