1 (edited by jets60 2008-11-09 18:42:53)

Topic: "For So Very Long"

This song is about the realization that I actually have found my pot-of-gold but I was too busy looking for it to notice.

For So Very Long By Jeff Gilpin

November 9th, 2008

Verse 1

[G]I’ve no need for chasing rainbows

I’ve [C]found my pot of [G]gold

[C]Resting in the [G]comfort of your [D]arms

No [C]need for traveling [G]down

That [D]ever winding [Em]road [D]

I’d [C]rather bask my [G]days [D]in your [Em]charms

Verse 2

I re[G]member way back when

I would [C]play the lotte[G]ry

[C]Buying dream a [G]dollar at a [D]time

But [C]all my hard earned [G]dollars

Would have [D]sure been better [Em]spent [D]

[C]Knowing I [G]needn’t [D]spend a [Em]dime

Chorus

[D]Realizing that I’ve really [Em]made it

[C]Made it to where I wanted [G]for so very [D]long

[D]Didn’t realize for the [Em]long longest time

[C]Having you in my [G]eyes [D]keeps me [Em]strong

Verse 3

Spent [G]hours of time on useless thing

Im[C]portant at the [G]time

[C]Focused on my [G]trivial pur[D]suits

[C]Time that I can[G]not get back

But [D]all that’s in the [Em]past [D]

[C]Putting back on my [G]favorite [D]pair of [Em]boots

Verse 4

[G]Days and nights turned into years

And [C]years to decades [G]too

My [C]vision of [G]what’s been here so [D]long

A [C]careworn smile, or [G]familiar phrase

That [D]always warms the [Em]heart [D]

[C]Happiness right [G]here where [D]I be[Em]long

Chorus

[D]Realizing that I’ve really [Em]made it

[C]Made it to where I wanted [G]for so very [D]long

[D]Didn’t realize for the [Em]long longest time

[C]Having you in my [G]eyes [D]keeps me [Em]strong

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "For So Very Long"

lovely message jeff,

all us old married men can give a nod to this as you've spoken our thoughts, our greatest treasure being our other [and better] halves. looked on your web, and a bit disappointed that you haven't put this up yet, let us know when it is there?

your friend

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Nice one Jeff you married guys are indeed a fortunate lot you get to write about having and keeping instead of the other way around (then it would be a country song) lol  well done smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I've read these lyrics through a few times last night and today, and i think they're wonderful..!  smile

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

hi jeff you've got a way wlth words ,great song....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Nice song Jeff. I liked your simile of the lottery and love. That was cool and so very true. Enjoyed this song, thanks for sharing your fine work. All well with your son? My wife is now an employee of the adminstraive branch of a local Veterans hospital. My eyes were open previously, now they're(my eyes) WIDE open.

Proud Supporter of Our Troops,
Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Thanks you all.
Hey Phill, sorry about not having it recorded yet. I'm sorely behind but promise to catch up soon.
Hey Russ, I have some country songs in me too, just not so many about my wife.
Hey Radchael, it’s nice to meet you. I am fortunate that I live with someone who constantly inspires great lyrics. Glad you liked them!
Hey Daddy, I see you have been mightily busy writing songs and I will try and catch up on your new music.
Hey Toney - When I lived in Texas I called buying lottery tickets paying state taxes since Texas doesn't have any state income tax. My son has been back for a while due to a soccer injury he got visiting me and playing with my old man soccer team. He was having a great time until he tried to switch direction a little too fast and hurt his knee. He is recovering from knee surgery down in Ft. Hood and not going back to Iraq anytime soon. He called me up just the other day while he was strumming his electric. I would love to see him post a song here one day.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jeff

Great lyrics that really say a lot about what life should be all about. Looking forwards to the recording when you have some time.
I hope your son is dong better.Sounds like he was trying to keep up with you young guys.
Well Done smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Great song Jets,

I did read this the other day, but im busy busy for replying to most things now.

Thanks for another goodie.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Kenny and Lena - -
Hey Kenny -  I am way behind on my recording but this would be a good one I think. My son is doing better getting over having his knee cut on and it was more like he was trying to run rings around us but forgot he hadn't been that active for a while.

Hey Lena - I understand and you are keeping up with the postings much better than I am.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

Wonderful song, a pleasure to play and sing and a wonderful tribute to your lady love.

Best wishes to Tim and I hope he is well on the road to recovery.

Apolgies for the late comment on this song but I have been very busy with work and recording projects and am only just getting caught up.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger,

Thanks and it's me who should be saying I'm sorry. I haven't recorded in about forever and I have a bunch that I want to including this one, and I sure haven't been checking our all the new songs like I should. My son Tim is learning that physical therapy and torture are not very different but he is getting better although he complains a lot. Expect me to catch up on some of my record  projects over our thanksgiving holiday.

Take care,

Jeff

J  E  T  S