Topic: 12 string

I played a new Taylor 12 string in  the music store the other day. Had the best sound I ever heard and played. Is there any difference in playing the 12 vs the 6 string? Was my first time and I played it the same as a 6 as far as for chords.

Re: 12 string

Absolutely. A 12 string just has double strings that, with the exception of the two treble sets, are tuned an octave apart which give a much fuller sound than a 6er.

Picking is not as easy as you have to catch both strings evenly and the neck is wider than a 6er.

These days they are tuned to E unlike when I got my first one in the 60's and had to tune to D to prevent damage to the neck (in those days there was no such thing as different gauge strings - one size fitted all smile).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by flester 2008-10-29 14:23:59)

Can be harder on your fret hand due to the wider neck and greated tension of the 12 strings. This may not be noticeable until you've played a few songs but you get used to it. I find  barre chords tricky on a 6 and impossible on a 12 but that's just me. Picking IS harder but can give some lovely effects if you can master it.
And the full sound of a 12 is addictive!

Is it twelve equally distanced strings, or is it six runs of two, like a Lute?

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

I only played once, seemed like 6 runs of two

It is six sets of two strings each, really close together, almost so close that you can't pick each individual one.  The top two strings, usually tuned to E and B, have two of the exact same string, same tuning, next to them.  The other four strings, G, D, A, and E, have a string tuned to an octave above each corresponding note.  This allows for some cool harmonics and octaves and an amazing, full, ringing sound when strummed.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot