Topic: Re: Reading a tab page

Hi everyone

I am an absolute beginner. Its always been my dream to learn how to play the guitar, so I finally started few days ago.
I am trying to figure out the tab sheet and what all the symbols on it stand for but got no clue. An example of this is the following link:

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=133876

Can anyone, please, explain to me what all the numbers 0-2-3 0-2-4 stand for, and the * are?
I mean it looks to me like the neck of the guitar, but I got no clue

Thank you kindly

Re: Re: Reading a tab page

Hi Vanheusen,
Welcome to Chordie.
The numbers represent the fret you play on the specific string the numbers are placed. And the *'s indicate a start and finish to a particular stanza(part) of a song. If there are 'stacked' numbers such as;
                                                                                   e----2------
                                                                                   b----3-----
                                                                                   g----2------
                                                                                   d----0------
                                                                                   a----X--
                                                                                   E----X---
you play this as a D chord. If the numbers are spaced out such as;

e-----------------------------------0--2--3---0  (skinny string)
              b----------------------------0---3------------0
              g-----------------------0--2------------------0
              d--------------0--1--2------------------------2
              a---------0--2---------------------------------2
              E----0--3--------------------------------------0(fat string)

you play the progression(left to right) and finsh with an Em chord at the end.
Good luck, hope this gets you started.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Vanheusen

I notice in the example you give that the strings shown are that of a 5 string bass guitar. Is it bass you play? The principle of TAB, as shown by southpaw, is the same, just the names of the strings is different.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thank you all for your replys
No, im using reg. guitar.
My goal is to add guitar to Middle eastern music.
for these type of songs, chords are very easy.