Topic: Newb questions about chords, please help.

Hi guys, I've got a little problem. I've been trying to play this song with a tab that I have, anyways over the music notations, you have letters such as Am, D etc. I'm guessing these are there to show you the best way to play the numbered notes, though I've reached a problem, I get to the point where the recommended chord position is E, however the numbers are as follows - 4 -1st string, 0 2nd string, 1 3rd string, and 0 6th string. So I went to a site to check the chords and this is what I found E - 1 - 3rd string, 2 - 4th string, 2 - 5th string......so needless to say this doesn't make sense, can someone please help me.

Another question, I was checking the resources of this site and beside each chord, there is a number written ie. 4 / 7 to the left of the chord, what do these numbers mean?

Thanks

Re: Newb questions about chords, please help.

Yeehaw

The majority of the time, I'll play the chord listed and not look at the suggested finger positioning ... sometimes people use what I call "hybrid" formations of certain chords ... play the chord that is listed and if it sounds right, go with it ... if it doesnt sound right, try the "hybrid" formation ... you can always use the chord chart here on Chordie to find different formations of the same chord

In regards to the 4 / 7 you see by chord formations, this tells you what fret to play the chord on

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

So it sounds to me that you are trying to learn the chords and the tab at the same time. No doubt this is confusing. I suggest that every tune in here you want to play you first look at the little chord chart at the top right and determine if you know those chords or not. If not then you need to practice chording before you try playing and learn those chords. Use the song to give you a sense of whether or not you've learned the chords, but don't worry about the tab stuff yet.
Those letters above the words are the chords to be played, but a word of caution; many songs here are not very accurate in either the chords given or the locations of those chords throughout the song. I have spent many an hour editing songs in my own song book to fix this, so it can be a little confusing for a beginner too. You might want to consider buying song books in the series called "made easy for guitar" with songs you already know how they "should" sound. I did this with several books while I was learning and it really helps to teach you the chords. Also, get yourself a good chord chart. There's a good one in here, but being an old timer now I guess, I still like the chord chart book I bought several years ago that is slim enough to fit in the neck portion of my guitar case.
Now, after more than 20 years of practice, I know many chords and can hear when there's one or two off and can fix it, but starting out I think you might get sidetracked too much by that.
Oh, and never forget - practice, practice, practice!

Hi guys thanks for the advice, but I find as a beginner focusing only on chords and trying to memorize them can get a little boring without practicing on a song, so what I usually do is I pick out a few chords and practice them every day for an hour, before moving on to practicing a song. One thing I love is your sub conscious monitors everything, so instead of trying to consciously try to remember everything as soon as possible I notice that I remember chords effortlessly after a while of continuous practice.

Yeehaw80, at least for me a good practice tool was using a 12 bar blues progression. Start in any key, strum that progression for 2 minutes then switch to another key and repeat thru all the key's. This works for open chords as well as barre chords. Slow down or speed up the strumming as needed to get a decent sound. This not only will help with your chord changes but it will help your timing as well.  Just use a basic 3 chord progression in a 1 -4 - 5 pattern. 

nela

Hello YeeHaw80,
   Here's a link that should assist you in playing almost any chord, anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Have fun;-SouthPaw41L

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Give everything but up.