Topic: How do you read tabs?

Yes, chords I understand completely. But tabs...a bunch of songs I like I can only find the tabs to...could someone please explain here how to do that? I'm still a beginner...no big words you don't think I'll understand, please!!

Re: How do you read tabs?

Good Evening Guitar.girl52843, and Welcome to Chordie!

I'll try to answer your question as ealsily as I can:  Tablature is a "shorthand" for all those who do not read music notation, or do so poorly, and it does not require that you know what note is played but "where" it is played.  The six horizontal lines in Tab represent the strings on your guitar with the lowest at the bottom and highest at the top.  The number on that line (whichever it is) stands for the fret on which that string sounds that note.

By reading the tab from left to right you can see the sequence that the melody is played, and when several numbers are stacked vertically, it shows the fingering of a chord.

Google how to read Tab and you will find several tutorials on the subject that should cover it with greater depth.

Once again Welcome, visit often and have a great time with your music.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: How do you read tabs?

I think its best to just show to be honest so...

e||----------------14---14---
B||------14----------13---12
G||---------13-12------------
D||---11----------------------
A||----------------------------
E||----------------------------

That is *roughly* the opening solo of Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses (if played in standard tuning)

All that means is you play, in sequence, the note on the 11th fret of the D string, 14th fret of B string, 13th fret of G string, 12th fret of G string, 14th fret of high e string, 13th fret of B string, 14th fret of high e string and 12th fret of B string

Tabs are usually written like this, just play the corresponding fret number on the corresponding string. Most usually have keys too so, for instance:

e||--14/15   would be a slide from 14th to 15th fret on high e string

e||--15\14   would be a slide from 15th to 14th fret on high e string

e||--14b(15) would be a bend on the 14th fret of the high e string to hit the same tone as the 15th fret and so on...