Topic: Grasping the concept.

Reading music has held me back for year's.Back in the early 1970s I auditioned for a band by choosing the song Bobby Magee,while I was doing the Janice version,it did'nt take long to realize that this band had never heard the song done like this before.Of course they rejected me.And I thought all these years of stage fright was due to that.I know different now.I've been playing guitar and writing songs over 45 years,but cannot read a note.Many love my music and want me to play,some fear I will die with it in me.Does anyone think that the gift of hearing it is preventing me from being able to read it?I'll accept any criticism because I have nothing to lose and the clock is ticking.
                                                            Rick

2 (edited by KAP54 2008-09-21 20:30:46)

Re: Grasping the concept.

Hi Rick15568
Welcome to Chordie smile
I was in the exact boat you are in.Since joining chordie I have learned to overcome my fears of stagefright and not been able to read music. I learned that if I am happy with the end result than that is all that matters.In 3 short months I have got to the point where I am actually recording and posting my tunes and this makes me feel very good about my songwriting abilities(whether good or not) just posting here is a big boost.
I suggest that you take part in the forum as there are many talented people here that will inspire you to record and post your songs for all to hear.

Hope that helps you and looking forwards to reading and listening to your songs. smile

Kap54 (Kenny)

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hi rick i also cannot read music,i only play on the first three frets and use about 15 chords but it gets a result and the songs ive written have come out pretty well,so you don't have to be brilliant to be good and i think the band is at a loss for rejecting your tallent ,why don't you post your songs on here ,yuor certain to get agood reveiw....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

4 (edited by Old Doll 2008-09-20 07:43:49)

Failte Rick 15538,

Dont feel ashamed because you cannot read music Sir. This only causes a hurting head.
your life is not a rehearsal, so grab whats left of it and skullhaul your music on to chordie.

I read this  wee piece many years ago. "The past is history, the future a mystery, the time we live is now, its a gift!
This is why its known as the "Present." I dont know the author, but ya must admit its a goodun!

Go for it, but more importantly " ENJOY IT" !.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtpADHT2gfE

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Old Doll,
                          A reply of any kind was my hope.I don't re-call mentioning shame though.The only shame in my life is the result from a concept called cause and effect.I spent 46 years living an extreme radical life which has left me with quite a legondary reputation as a "He's Trouble" in the minds of those who do not know me as a person,or an individual.Diagnosed with A.D.H.D. at 46 was a fast curve ball explaining my history of living on the edge.The reason I said concept earlier is because in my search for reconstructing a new life,the theory of cause and effect is only a theory because society as a whole refuses to admit there is any logic to the theory.It provides them with a quick fix to the error of judgement.But in 9 days I will be 49 and the answer to my lack of ability in reading music must be resolved.I can only share the music I write by sound if you know what I mean?Sharing words and chords are meaningless without knowing what kind of blue's the soul was feeling when the song was written.Did that make sense to you?Thanks for the reply though.
                        Rick

Hi Rick and welcome to Chordie,

As Kenny has already said if you record your songs you can show the melody and the mood of your songs without writing out the music, in fact a recording will put it over better than it being written on a scoresheet.

As you realise that you have a medical condition that you are trying to overcome and rebuild your life speaks volumes. I take my hat off to you and wish you well. I hope that in the not too distant future I will be able to read and listen to some of your songs.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Read Schmead!!!
Music is not all about reading. If it was it would be called.......READING!!!
Do it man.

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"