Topic: Soloing/key/chord progression questions...

I just started playing in a jazz band (unfortunately my guitar skills aren't at the level they need to be to play for something like this, so I play trombone), and I'm curious about how some of the guitar soloing is done.  It gives the chords on the sheet, but at the guitar solo section there's just chords.  How do you play a solo just by using the chords? Does knowing the scales based on the chords allow you to do this? How do you know what scale is based on a Bb9, for example? This is one thing that baffles me still-I can read down tabs just fine, and strum along or play fingerstyle with chords, but to play a solo I need to see tabs.  Can anyone help me here?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Soloing/key/chord progression questions...

Or is it a matter of knowing what key you're in, so you have a guideline of what notes-frets to play?

Switchfoot

06sc500

A lot of solo's are based on what key the song is based on ... note progression is based from there up and down the neck ... for example if the song is in the key of "A" you can use the notes that make up "A" (depending on what scale you want to use)... from there you can use the chords in the key of "A" and break down those chords and use the notes in the those ... it can get complicated but once you understand it's not too dificult ... I'm new the "Theory" but from what I've learned so far that's the easiest way to figure out solo's or how to incorporate them ... below is an example of a chord progression solo for C, F, and Bb

http://www.ilearntoplay.com/content/en/ … -F-Bb.aspx

I know it's not much but it can give you an idea

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Thanks for that link! That will be very helpful.

Switchfoot

You're welcome ... here is a couple of links I've used that have helped me out:

Chord Sequences
http://www.ilearntoplay.com/content/en/ … hords.aspx

All-around Chord Site
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php

Major/minor Tone Chords
http://www.free-online-piano-lessons.co … riads.html

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

06sc500 wrote:

I just started playing in a jazz band (unfortunately my guitar skills aren't at the level they need to be to play for something like this, so I play trombone), and I'm curious about how some of the guitar soloing is done.  It gives the chords on the sheet, but at the guitar solo section there's just chords.  How do you play a solo just by using the chords? Does knowing the scales based on the chords allow you to do this? How do you know what scale is based on a Bb9, for example? This is one thing that baffles me still-I can read down tabs just fine, and strum along or play fingerstyle with chords, but to play a solo I need to see tabs.  Can anyone help me here?

Well, the first thing I would do (right or wrong maybe...but improvising) is drop that "9" and remember the fingerings for a Bb. Then play at/between the first and third fret where the notes that make up that chord reside...

Or play the individual notes on/of the 6th 7th and 8th frets where that Bb is played further up the neck.

Correct me if I'm wrong gang...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

One popular strategy for soloing over jazz tunes is, to play a line crafted from the notes of a chord when ascending but play through the notes from the scale when descending.

So if you were playing over a jazzy blues in Amin, you might play play an ascending line made up of notes from, say, an Amin7, 9 or 11 chord - this will naturally cause you to leave out some of the notes in the scale, resulting in an 'open' , angular line. Then, put your practice of scales to use by ripping through a chunk of the Amin scale (or Phrygian, or whatever) when descending, which will naturally provide extra "in between" notes, giving you more to play and make for a smoother transition from high to low notes.

You hear horn players do this a lot.