1 (edited by David 137 2008-09-07 03:32:11)

Topic: A rut

i'm sort of stuck in a rut here, I love playing guitar and I love music, but lately every time I pick my guitar up I just feel so uninspired to play (Mabye it's 'cos I've played every song in my song books) I play a lot of Bealtes stuff, but it just doesn't seem to be enough to make me WANT to play! Any suggestions how to get past this?

Re: A rut

Hi david,I think we all get stuck ,I have alot of times,I usually look around at other members books and find some songs I had forgot about and I give them a try. I have also been trying too learn some harder lead guitar . Hope that helps .            dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi David
Going through other song books, Checkout Utube and  watch other guitarist play …
Get together with some friends who play might give you ideas…
Don’t play for a week or so if you can. Might work….
Ever considered trying to do some of your own stuff?
Set yourself a guitar goal it could be anything from learning a difficult piece to a different style of playing….
All these could  get you inspired
We all have all been there….
Ark

David,
As said we al lgo through this phase I think.

One of my mates goes through this a lot. He cannot pick his guitar up because he has no inspiration,no motivation to do so.
I sometimes get this way but not often but when I do I organise a wee jam night in the house with my mate, my wife that plays fiddle and mandolin ( and now learning the flute) and my father in law that plays guitar,mandolin,banjo, violin, banjola.
So if I organise this, it makes it worth while to practice a bit first.

But now that I have just typed the word "Mandolin" twice, and I mentioned it yesterday in the "other instruments" section. I just realised I am going through a " no inspiring motavation phase with this instrument. And I never play it in a jamming session, so how do I find the motavation to play this again? And also my Uke, not played that for a month or two properly.

I need help too lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi David137 & I feel your pain.  I'll agree with what others have said - now is the time to challenge yourself.  If playing is no fun - play different.

Here are some other challenges -
Do you sing & play?  If not, start singing - if you already sing, then work on improving your vocal skills.

Learn some theory - what makes music work.  Scales, chord structures, reading music, etc.

Hope this helps,  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]