Topic: I SHOT THE SHERIFF, but I didn't shoot the deputy.

THE TITLE IS MUSIC RELATED, THE CONTENT NOT.
I am really sorry and my apologies for putting this on chordie. If you want to delete it, I'll understand it.
Since months I am trying to figure out what a SHERIFF is in law enforcement.
- He/She is elected, can a medical doc become a sheriff?
- Where is his place in law enforcement? Is he higher ranked than a police officer? Has he the same duties? What about the deputy?
- In general can everyone becomes a sheriff?

All I know is POLICE, FBI, STATE TROOPERS, so please mail me about this or if you don't delete it give me some information about these different kind of law enforcement.

Please help this poor doc, who is desperate because I don't find information that satisfies me.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by wlbaye 2008-08-23 13:00:44)

Re: I SHOT THE SHERIFF, but I didn't shoot the deputy.

Hello Doc, In my neck of the woods a county Sheriff is  elected to uphold the law throughout the county and he hires deputy's as needed.The cities have Police the Hiway's have State Troopers and the sheriff is in charge of the rural areas.They do also have jurisdiction in the city and hiway,but concentrate more on the entire county.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

thats quiet interesting, In the Uk we only have the police, no matter what county or country you are in they will arrest you anywhere.
Too much of their time is spent in towns and cities I think.
it would be good to have sheriffs everywhere.
Maybe the UK just isnt big enough to support this

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Law enforcement is big business - - -
Thinking of all the various layers of cops we have in the USA is amazing . . .
I'm defining a cop as somebody authorized to carry a weapon and paid by the government to enforce laws:

city police force
university campus police
county sheriff's office & deputies
constables (elected officers who serve warrants & court summons)
regional drug task forces (undercover agents)
State Troopers
department of transportation inspectors (trucks)
wildlife & fisheries officers (enforce hunting & game laws)
US Customs Inspectors
FBI
Postal Inspectors
Treasury Agents (Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms)
Secret Service
Military Police (each branch)
US Border Patrol
Homeland Security Officials (sky police, etc)

There are probably even more - but this incomplete list is rather astounding.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Doc the last part of your post asked "can everyone become sheriff" no not if you have a felony conviction,im not sure about citizenship it thats a requirement smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Eveything I've read so far is basically correct.
However, the Sherriff Dept. is also assigned the task of prisoner
transport to and from judication and to other jurisdictions, as well as
maintaining the county jail facilities.
Also, deputies are the lowest paid law enforcement officers there are,
even though they patrol vast regions with a lot of bad guys and in most cases only one Deputy per patrol.
P.S. If I sound like a cop, old habits die hard. Glad some people care enough to ask.     Oldboots

You mean to tell me, Barney Fife didn't make much of a salary?  Poor Thelma Lou.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

barney left mayberry to become a flunkie in the los angeles police department and thelma got married to someone else and he went on to become a fish lol and solve crimes and save the world lol

Well you get into the whole county and township thing....
But in the town I was in there was the COUNTY sheriff's dept, and then the CITY police department. The sheriff dept. was over the entire county which was several towns, and the police were specifically used in thier own town.

All You Need is Love smile

No disrespect from this musician towards the police in any way, shape, nor form. I have several friends who are on the job and I know how thankless, risky, stressful, and underappreciated this line of work can be.  Walk a mile in another mans' shoes  ......................

Give everything but up.

To my understanding, there are a few differences between local police and local sherriff.  First, the police work for the jurisdiction.  A town police officer reports to the Chief of Police, and the Chief of Police reports to the mayor (or whatever leader).  Some jurisdictions may have a layer between Chief and Mayor called a Superintendent or something like that.  The point is, they are 'beaurocrats' in that their careers are not tied to the political careers of the persons in office.  You can have three different mayors and would still have mostly the same police officers.  Police work for municipal governments. 

Sherriffs on the other hand report to a judge.  They are the enforcement arm of a judge.  They transport prisoners, collect prisoners, issue warrants, maintain jails, etc.  Sherriffs deliver warrants and other legal papers a judge wants delivered.  They collect people a judge wants to see.  They do have police power as well in many jurisdictions, but they are not "police" in that their primary responsibility is to enforce the dictates of the local judiciary.  Deputies work for sherriffs.  Sherriffs work for judges. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well dear friends for a NON MUSIC thread I get some really good answers + it's an EXEPTIONAL 1 TIME thread, I could use the title to make it music related. Glad to see so much interest.
I found THANKS TO YOU ALL a very interesting site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policing_i … ted_States

It is more complicated than I thought. In some counties the sheriff is "THE" authority, in others he has more administrative tasks like transport of prisoners. I realise that it DEPENDS FROM STATE TO STATE. In some states and counties he is almost everything: LAW, CORONER and to become a coroner you need to be a lawyer or MD but if you have both degrees !! I also saw that THE CORONER HAS THE POWER TO ARREST the sheriff. JESUS it is complex.
REBEL I forgot the "TEXAS RANGERS" are they more powerful?
So in fact everybody without a felon can be elected as sheriff? Sheriff Gitaardocphil and his deputies (nice name for a band). 4 years sheriff and if not re-elected what's next?
COMPLICATED, COMPLICATED & COMPLICATED.
THANKS A LOT for helping me, but I see that more people don't know the structure, probably because it depends. About money I know that there are lawyers who join the force too, and once you get a certain degree the paycheck is not bad, but what about the risk?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

WHY ARE THEY ELECTED?
If I make my conclusion now, an active member in the community like church, a man without diploma can be elected? or not?
- SHERIFFS?
- CORONERS?

Sheriffs are only elected in certain jurisdictions.  In other jurisdictions, they are appointed. 

As far as Texas Rangers, they are the Jedi Knights of law enforcement.  There's a story about a Texas Ranger from way back when they were first founded.  There was a land use war between ranchers and sheep-herders in Texas.  The Governor was contacted and he called the Rangers to end it.  They sent one man.  When the Ranger (I forget his name, but it is recorded in history) got off the train and the Marshall met him, the Marshall was stupified.  "One man!  They sent one man!"  The Ranger responded laconically, "You've only got one war."   He did end it within a couple of weeks too.  No arrests were made, but there were a few funerals. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Ah...did he have a sidekick named Tonto by chance lol

Good one Zurf... we'd almost forgotten about the Rangers.

Motto:  "One riot.... One Ranger".

But I always wondered where the U.S. (Federal) Marshall's Office falls in to the equation?  Especially in so far as limits of jurisdiction.  Haven't their roles in law enforcement been basically replaced by the FBI?

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think U.S. Marshalls are very like the sherrifs.  They work for the courts, capturing, transporting, and delivering prisoners, delivering paperwork & warrants, that sort of thing.  Important work, but not general law enforcement.  The FBI are primarily investigators.  They don't have any "beat" duties of which I'm aware.  They do have some protection and guard duties, which overlap with the Marshalls.  For instance, I once worked for a company that was supporting the Federal government in a high profile SuperFund case and we had to have the records protected. Our file room had an armed FBI agent in it 24x7.  Seems like that ought to have been a Marshall because it dealt with the courts, but it was an FBI agent.  Of course, the FBI is a bureau in the Department of Justice, and it was the Department of Justice that was bringing the case, so in that regard it's understandable why they'd use "family" rather than "outsiders".  As an aside, I wonder what kind of stunt you've got to pull to get duty that requires you to be locked by yourself into a file room for 12 hours at a time.   

- Zurf