Topic: Guitar set up

I have a couple of questions. I have an Alvarez acoustic bought it new three years ago. I love it. I have had it adjusted and put medium strings put on .013 elixers. I alternate between a medium and light pick. I am only playing classic country and some eighties style. I am not get the desired sound out of it. I would also like the guitar adjusted a bit more but the only way would be to have the bridge filed and new strings put on. I am probably going to do this soon. As there is a Traditional music festival coming in september here in michigan and I will be playing for about six hours a day for three days. Any suggestions on strings. I have been playing for just under three years and I am now starting to play bluegrass also. Not sure what to do.

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-11 16:07:50)

Re: Guitar set up

What kind of sound/tone are you getting now and what are you wanting to achieve? Are you looking to bightin the tone or darken it? More bass/treble or less? Need more volume? Kinda need to know where you're at and where you're wanting to carry it in order to offer any usable advice! -Pix

Oh yea what kind of strings are you using now? I know elixer mediums but are they poly, nano, 80-20's, or pb's

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I am using elixer poly's and I would like to get a more brighter brilliant tone. I don't play alot of sappy country but mostly upbeat and of course there is no sad bluegrass. I like happy. I don't play alot of minor chords unless Em which is in alot of traditional music. More sevenths and major chords.  Thank you for the reply

Well what I would probably try first is going to the elixer nano's. They have a much thinner coating then the poly and tend to be brighter. I'd go with the 80/20's as they tend to be brighter than Phosher Bronze strings.  I'd also consider changing the bridge pins to brass. This would probably be one of the most audible changes. I did this to an alvarez dread I had about a year ago and was very pleased with the results. Just some ideas....-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]