Topic: Burstbuckers

Just swapped my stock pups with burstbucker pro's in an Epi Les Paul Standard.  Wow.

Re: Burstbuckers

What were your stock pickups?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

It said "Alnico Classic" and nothing else on both the advertisement on the website where I bought it and on the manual.  Epi website doesn't give any more info.  They have an Epi logo on the back side.  Not sure how the build is different.  I got the BBP's at ZZ for about 100 each.  I'm no expert for sure, but even I could tell the difference.

I was wondering how well that worked out for you...I've got a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Special...but it's pretty solid and seems pretty well built. Thinking about putting some Seymour Duncan or Gibson Pickups in it...wondering if it's worth the expense...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I'd venture a guess that a serious player who was restricted to a budget and got stuck with an Epi LP instead of the Gibson would consider it a good investment.  I did, but I'm not all that serious yet.  I certainly don't know enough about which pickup to recommend and my choice was based on customer reviews and a couple of articles in emags about the BB Pro's.  With my guitar, I'm now about $600 into it.  I'd love to have a high range Gibson LP, but then I wouldn't have money for all the other junk.  My next project is a Fender Blues Junior per recommendations right here on chordie.  The BB Pro's really seemed to be an improvement to me and made the stock pickups sound kind of bland.  I say go for it.

The Studio that I have comes with 490R/498T Alnico Humbuckers that sound awesome ... I can't say I've ever heard the BB pro's ... I might have and just didnt know it ... I know the Epiphone LP's come with stock Alnico Classics but I can definitely tell a difference between the Gibson LP sound and the Epiphone LP sound

I tried the Epiphone Prophecy today at Guitar Center and the LP model with EMG pick-ups I didnt like ... but I tried the LP model with the Gibson "Dirty Fingers" pickups and it sounded great

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75