Topic: Machine Heads

Just picked up my electric to find that my kids had completely untuned it.  When I started to tune it up, one of the machine heads, literally, crumbled between my fingers.  (i growled like a badger).

Anyway, I have to get new machine heads now, and would like some advice as to which ones to avoid.  You can’t really try them out before hand.

Do they make any that shock the hell out of three-year olds and toddlers?

Re: Machine Heads

Hey Kjohney,

Well depending on where you were intending to get these new machines, might have some bearing on it.  There are lots of good ones out there, and different ratios, and locking....  If you walk into a shop and ask I'm sure you will get differing opinions, but most sales folks will let you fondle one before you buy.  If you purchase online, then you should stay with one of the better names.  I've changed a few in my time and lean towards Grover but Gotoh are awfully nice also.  I try to stay with whatever fits the screw pattern so the wood doesn't wind up looking like swiss cheese, exposed holes are tacky... even if they are in the back. I would know they were there and it would bother me.

As to the electric ones...  sorry haven't seen those, but you might be able to rig up a fence charger.....

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

You didn't mention what these tuners are on right now...but sometimes an Ebay search can turn up something compatable...or you might take one off and go to a shop or two if available and see what they have. Taking one with you can help match up the hole patterns.

Three years olds are so much fun...we ended up hanging our instruments on the wall instead of leaving on a stand...either that or in a case. Nothing like finding a toddler sitting on a nice guitar laying flat on the floor...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I don't know what's the attraction of my guitars to my two boys, but they seem hell-bent on destroying them, and for some reason, the hard case too.  I try to put the fear of god into them by using a booming voice, and a stern look, but they aren't buying it.

Jaygordon
I too like the southern rock.  I live in Japan now, and to my astonishment, ran into a Japanese guitarist, who is a complete fan and master of Alman bros, Marshall Tucker Band, Skynard ..... and he lives next door, (and he hadn't heard of ZZ Top)  I had to educate the poor soul about the virtues of Tres Hombres.

He taught me the correct way to play Sweet Home Alabama, (which I fingerpick... to good effect).