Topic: I just baught my 1st guitar

Hello Everyone.

I did a internet search yesterday and I found this site. big_smile

My names Sharon and I'm from Ireland. I am 33 years old and I baught my 1st guitar yesterday morning.

I always wanted to learn playing it and I decided it was about time I learned. LOL

I got a DVD with it and have been learning with it. I also looked on you tube and learnt how to play "sweet home Alabama, Let It Be & Ode to Joy"

Now all I need is to remember the notes and changing from one chord to another. lol. I usually play by ear. I did play piano before but never learned how to read music. neutral

This alone will be a challange lol. I did notice alot of hand movements for the left hand. Not ot mention the few that you have to stretch for. neutral I presume I will get the hang of this with alot of patience and practice.

The tips of my fingers are sore lol but I was told to expect this and that after a week the pain will dissappear.

Is there anything I am missing or any helpful tips that would be handy for 1st time players? mind you im a complete novice. I think I would need the GUITAR GUIDE FOR DUMMIES.............

2 (edited by arkady 2008-08-07 21:11:48)

Re: I just baught my 1st guitar

Hey Ur Irish Rose
Welcome to chordie. I hope you stick at it and enjoy the highs and weather the lows you will surely get on your guitar journey.
A lot of info here for the budding guitar player and help is always at hand on the forum.
Were a friendly lot..... smile

Ark

Thank you:)

All im doing at the moment is learning the notes then ill work on chords. After that Ill aim on tunes.

I have learnt Ode To Joy, Let It Be and Sweet home Alabama. Im very slow at them and my fingers are numb lol but I will get use to it.

The changing of chords for me was a bit difficult to do and to remember where to go lol but I will get there when I figure out the single string notes smile

Ur Irish Rose welcome to chordie as arkady said you will find a lot of help and friendly people here and take your time with your lessons its better to learn at a slow methodical pace and practice regularly and you will progress faster keep at it and good luck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Ur Irish Rose wrote:

Hello Everyone.

Is there anything I am missing or any helpful tips that would be handy for 1st time players? mind you im a complete novice. I think I would need the GUITAR GUIDE FOR DUMMIES.............

Many people have benefited from this generous, well intentioned dude. His name is Justin Sandercoe. His advice is very accurate, beneficial, and easy to follow. And it's free! Donations are accepted, but not required. Welcome to Chordie.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-001-C … inners.php

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Fáilte Ur Irish Rose,

I guarantee you , you will learn loads here. Dont forget to go back some pages.

Theres tons of stuff there for you to glean.  Good luck to you.
From one of your own lol Not so much a rose ? More like the last rose of summer lol

God to you Girl and your fingers.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Ur Irish Rose Chordie is like an obsession after a while. Full of great people and a lot of help.
You made me laugh about the sore fingers.
I remember it vividly.
Still I got past it and really enjoy it now.
I hope chordie can help you as much as it has helped me.

Welcome Ur Irish Rose
I'll have to echo everyones response here.Chordie is a fabulous site with talent from around the globe in many aspects of music.not just guitar.
Advice:
Don't be afraid to ask any question."Ignorance is not a sign of intelligence" Thanks Russell smile
Don't loose the passion for playing. Playing is a window to your soul.
Don't worry about sore fingers. We've all been there and look at us now.
Do practice with quality not quantity.Take your time,be honest with yourself and practice,practice, practice.....properly

Hope that helps smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Sharon and welcome to Chordie from me too.

Further to KAP54's excellent advice it is a good idea to find some way of recording your playing. Every so often record and save so when you get to the stage where you think you are not improving, as most of get to at some time or other, you can listen to your earlier work and hear the difference.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hello UR Irish Rose,
I visited Ireland twice. I wish I was there, now.
Never play guitar if you hands have been wet for a long time - it's good bye callouses if you do.
Be sure you strings are set as low as is possible without buzzing against the frets.
Eyeball down both edges of your guitar neck. You can see a curve in the neck if it's warped causing the strings to ride very high at the center of the neck and hurt you fingers. If your guitar has a steel bar within the neck, a luthier can turn the bar, straighten the neck and thus, lower the strings.
Nylon strings are easier on you finger tips and last longer than steel.
Hope you learn many pretty songs to make you smile,
Dennis Gray
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

11 (edited by wilcovecrue 2008-08-12 15:22:25)

chill,,, ur a musicion now wink

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!