Topic: need some help...

i learned playing guitar when i was in high school,i learned it all by myself...i can do a bit of strumming and plucking....i want to improve the way i play guitar, but i don't know how to sing... and one more thing, i don't know how read notes... i love the songs of bread...

anyone who would like to give me advice?
i would gladly accept it!

Re: need some help...

Rokai,  Welcome to Chordie if someone didn't already welcome you.

This is a good place to be and a great resource for everything guitar related.  You might like to know that there are folks here that do read music, and for those of us that don't do that very well.... there is tab.  If you look around the resources you will find a tutorial that explains it pretty well.  And the extensive library of music links on this site will let you browse by artist, band or title to find either a chord or tab version of just about anything you wish to learn to play.

As for the singing part, sing along when you play and pretty soon you will be a singer.  Record yourself and listen to the playback, You might be surprised to find that you sound a lot different on recording than what you hear in your head.  As for the music of Bread....  Good stuff there, but David Gates is a difficult singer to sing with.  His range is way higher than most of us can reach comfortably.

Visit here often, read the forums and don't ever be afraid to ask questions.  There are more helpful people here from around the world than anyplace on the net, and somebody will have a good answer for you.... maybe even three or four!

Have fun with your music!  It just keeps getting better.
  Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

hi there mr. Doug...
thanks for the warm welcome...
thank you for the advice, maybe you're right...i just need more practice, but do you think... is it necessary that you know how to sing or read notes in order to improve your skill in guitar playing?

glad to be a member of this site...
god bless...

Hi Rokai and welcome to Chordie from me,

Doug has given you some very good and sound advise and I have liitle to add but singing, just like learning to play an instrument, does need practice. The more you do the easier it becomes, you need to learn to breath properly and with time you will probably increase your vocal range. Recording yourself and listening to the playback is an excellent idea.

It is not strictly necessary to know how to read music to play or sing but all knowledge is valuable and it is worth the effort to learn. It does help if you come across formal sheet music to be able to look at and follow the melody of a song you are not sure of.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

rokai

As far as singing, one of the first things to do is find what key you sing in ... then you can tailor it to the songs you play ... its kind of hard to figure it out online but you can ... for the longest time I didnt know what key I sang in but I was finally able to locate songs by Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder) and find the key the songs were sung in (mostly A) and discovered my natural vocal range is in the key of A ... singing in a key that's natural to you is the best bet ... you dont have to change much ...

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

guess i got the best advice...
thank you guys...

hi,
i personaly can read music as i was brought up with doing so from a young age, but 85% of songs i can play well and concider my fav's are from TAB, all i can say is just practice and dont loose interest if something seems hard, what i do is look on youtube and watch other people playing the song i want to learn to remind me it can be done.

bit off subject but hope you find this usefull. P.S. i cant sing for sh*t but if it makes u feel good, do so smile

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!