1 (edited by jets60 2008-08-03 16:28:22)

Topic: "The Calling"

This song is about going back to visit places where you grew up. I know my dad spent much of his youth in what’s now called Big Bend National Park in south west Texas. A few years before he passed away he went back to visit the Big Bend area and remember his youth. I remember him telling me that he had to shake out his boots in the morning to make sure no scorpions had crawled in overnight. In the chord sequence, Bb C C# D, I use barre chords and just slide on down the fret skipping the B chord of course. The barre chord sequence sounds good to me, but give it a shot and see what you think. The Danville I mention in the first verse is Danville, Illinois which for some reason my grandmother thought was a good place to be born, and it is also the birth place of Dick Van Dyke.

The Calling By Jeff Gilpin

August 3rd, 2008

Verse 1

[D]My dad was born in Danville

[C]Born there but not raised [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[D]Soon as he was in this world

[C]He went down Texas way [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

And [G]he grew up in Texas

[D]Living in the Big Bend

He [G]went down for a visit

[A]Some time near his end [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

Verse 2

[D]Strange how you’re called back to

[C]Places where you were young [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[D]Like you got some business there

[C]To finish before you’re done [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[G]Not sure what would happen

[D]If you never left home

I [G]guess that I’ll never know

Because [A]all my life I’ve roamed [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

Verse 3

[D]Maybe I’ll go to Danville

[C]To see where dad was born [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[D]Although I’m not sure what I’d do

It’s [C]kind of like I’m torn [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[G]Torn because I have no

[D]Way to track him down

[G]Sure he was born there

[A]But with no ties to the town [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

Verse 4

Or [D]I could go to Alpine

[C]Out by the Big Bend [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[D]I’d see some of what he saw

When he [C]went back there again [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

[G]Or maybe I’ll just go and see

[D]The places I grew up too

Or [G]put that visit off until

My [A]days are almost through [Bb] [C] [C#] [D] [Bb] [C] [C#] [D]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "The Calling"

hi jeff a lovely memory song ,i was born about a mile from where i live now so i've stiil got my roots nearby ,well done stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hey Daddy - Thanks

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Well done Jeff smile
My Mom and Dads family are from P.E.I. in Canada.I don't know why I have a need to go there and visit the relatives or walk the same shoreline that they did....buy I do.
Thanks for bringing that feeling back.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Ken - I know how you feel. I have been to Alpine but I really want to go into the Big Bend park and check it out too. I've heard lots of stories so now I want to see for myself. Thanks

J  E  T  S

like the feel of the moving half steps and the lyrics have you put this on your website yet so we can give a listen? good song jeff keep um comming smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Lovely song Jets.

I  have visited where my Dad was born. Liverpool in England. A fantastic city, also home of the Beatles.

But Galway/ Waterford / Arklow are still my favourite places  to visit . My Grandparents original birthplaces. 
I ofton wonder  when Im  there am i walking in the footsteps of my ancestors.

Its a good feeling.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Russ and Lena - Russ, I like it too and will put it down soon. I had a great session tonight by the way and I cant wait to get the songs finished.

Lena, I enjoyed visiting England, where my surname comes from, but I've only scratched the surface, visiting along the southern coast and the cities around RAF Molesworth. I hope to get to Ireland and Scotland someday. I also want to spend a lot of time in Leeds, where I have been before but only once and that was only to Elland Road where I became a fan of Leeds United.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

I have visited my father's home town, Hertford (pronounced Hartford), with him and he took me to the places he played as a child and told of some of the pranks that he got up to. Now he is no longer with us it is a very, very fond memory and your song has brought this back to me.

I have now put it on FoC http://www.myspace.com/friendsofchordie and I guess that the photo titled "Pete Gilpin" you sent to go with it is of your father.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger - I was living in Texas when my Dad came back to visit Alpine and see his childhood memories. He told me that he had to shake his boot out to make sure no scorpions had crawled in them. Yep Pete Gilpin is my dad and I believe I got my love of music from him. He was a big fan of what he called Texas Swing. Thanks again for putting my song(s) up on FoC.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,
I tried to listen to your song but it stops playing after "My Dad was born in". It sounds nice and would like to hear the whole song.
Thanks
Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)