Topic: New guitar question.

I just picked up a new Cort acoustic electric and have no complaints as it feels fine and sounds great. Freshly tuned from the store,with a new battery I got home and started playing it.To my horror I found that it was tuned way too high for my vocal range.It tuned alright on the Fishman tuner.I checked it against my old battle axe and found it was definetly pitched higher so I tuned the Cort down to it and rechecked it on the Fishman tuner and it tuned just fine.
My questions are:(1) Did I just tune it down 1 octave?
                         (2) Will this affect my new baby in any way negatively?
                         (3) If I could tune it down, I'm guessing 1 octave, can I tune it down 2 octaves  and not have any problems?
Curios in Canada smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: New guitar question.

Hi Kenny,

I am 99.9% certain your guitar was not tuned an octave higher, neither the strings or guitar would stand the strain. You would also be able to sing just the same with an unstrument pitched exactly one octave higer. If your fingers will allow, put a capo on the 12th fret and play an easy song that you know and you will see.

If you play your lower E string open, followed by the 4th string on the second fret, followed by the high e string open. You have just played E over a two octave range and if you listed to the difference in the pitch of each note I think you will understand how big a difference an octave is.

Unfortunately the easy to have found out where it was pitched would have been to compare the two guitars before the re-tuning but we cannot turn the clock back.

I am at a loss to explain why it showed OK against the tuner the at the first checking though. If there were damage to the guitar I think you would have noticed it by now so you probably just have strings that are nicely pre-stretched and will hold their tuning fine.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger smile
I have a Seiko Sat100 Tuner also showed it in tune before the re-tuning and after the re-tuning.

Most peculiar Momma
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kap,
what I think your guitar was, was not tuned an octave higher ( just like roger said) I tihnk it would be called tuned a key higher, like one note higher.

I never read Roger's reply to you thoroughly so he might already have said this.
In the shop it probably was not tuned with a tuner, the strings were probably all tuned into each other but not in concert pitch.

Some groups I think tune up, like yours was. And I know certainly bands such as Guns'n;roses  jimmy hendrix tune down ( tning a key or note down) so the E string ends up playing the note D or maybe D# ( thats the bit I am not too sure about)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

5 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-19 21:22:26)

Thanks Ken smile
A key higher makes sense but the fishman tuner had it reading in tune before and after tuning down.
At least I can sing with it now(Well that's debatable LOL)

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The guitar is defective.  Send it to me and buy yourself another.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't know what your tuner is like but is it possible that you have read each string as in tune, but instead if it being EADGBe it was maybe  all up two semi-tones and you have not noticed the change in the note from E to F#, but just that it was in tune. i.e. the needle was bang in the middle or the light was on showing in tune.

Just a thought.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Might check your tuner to make sure it's set for 440. Some tuners have different tuning ranges and some can adjust.  See your instruction manual for the tuner and might need to reset it...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

Might check your tuner to make sure it's set for 440. Some tuners have different tuning ranges and some can adjust.  See your instruction manual for the tuner and might need to reset it...

This could be it. Some tuners have multiple ranges for different instruments

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thats probably what it was.Some rotten in store *%&$%$&^*)@$ worker trying to give me a heart attack.
Thanks all smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

KAP54 wrote:

Thats probably what it was.Some rotten in store *%&$%$&^*)@$ worker trying to give me a heart attack.
Thanks all smile
KAP54

Just to be clear then, you're NOT sending me the guitar?  Back to saving my change...

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Sorry Zurf.... I would like to but.........I think I'm in love with it.  lol

Kenny smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

In that case, much happiness to the two of you. 

- Zurf