Topic: "14 Days and 14 Dollars"

When I was first starting out in the military times were tough. My wife and I kept a pretty tight budget we appropriately titled Living on Rice and Soup.  I can imagine it is still pretty tough right now for those in a similar position.

14 Days and 14 Dollars By Jeff Gilpin

July 6th 2008

Intro

[D] [A]

Chorus

I got [D]14 days and 14 dollars

[G]That will have to [D]do

[D]14 days and 14 dollars

I [A]hope will see me [A7]through

[G]Times are tough and [D]times are hard

[G]Just getting by [D]sitting in the yard

[G]Write me a letter or [D]even a card

Will [A]do

Help get me [D]through [D7]

Verse 1

[A]Can’t say I didn’t see it coming

I [D]should have been better at [D7]it

[E]Saving all my hard earned wages

But [A]most have all got [A7]spent

I [G]guess that I [D]should have known better

[G]Write me a card or [D]send me a letter

[G]Tell me what I should of [D]done to deter

My predica[A]ment

With my money all [D]spent

Chorus

Will [A]do

Verse 2

[A]Sometimes I live a little short sighted

The [D]moment takes over me

Having [E]so much fun always on the run

That [A]I neglect to [A7]see

[G]That freight train that’s [D]steadily coming

[G]Almost too late for [D]me to start running

I [G]thought that light in the [D]tunnel was shinning

For [A]me

Now it won’t let me [D]be

Chorus

Will [A]do

Verse 3

[A]With money in such short supply

[D]Some things will have to [D7]go

[E]Without a drop of gas in my car

[A]It goes way to [A7]slow

[G]Should l bum a ride or [D]peddle all day

[G]Got to go to work if [D]I want the pay

[G]Maybe something better will [D]come my way

I hope [A]so

I sure hope [D]so

Chorus

Will [A]do

Help get me [G]through [D]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

2 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-08 21:01:28)

Re: "14 Days and 14 Dollars"

Well Done Jets smile smile smile
Awesome lyrics "I guess that I should have known better,write me a card or send me a letter"
I get a John Prine feel to your song, which to me is a pleasure singing to.
Good topic that a lot of folks can relate to.
I have fond memories of the food bank delivering bushel baskets of food for Christmas.I can recall as an  8 year old pulling out a can of beans from the pile and happily yelling out B-E-A-N-S. My Mom looked so happy, I'm guessing because we were happy.Thats the way Moms are.Give up everything so we could have something.

Thanks Again smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks KAP - High praise indeed. Mr. Prine is one of my favorites as well.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jeff,

Playing your song reminded me of when Sue and I were first married and we had very little cash too, but with a few scraps of chicken, some veg and suet and Sue could make an awsome chicken stew and dumplings that makes my mouth water just to think of it and it is close to 40 years since I last tasted it.

Great song, thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

When your the eldest girl of 11 children in a family, you learn real fast how to manage. Especially when your Dad dies young like mine did. Bills always paid first. Then live with the growth of the seasons. If it grew in the ground/or on a vine we picked it.
If we could grow it we did. We shared and swopped
what we could with neighbours..
Spuds, veg/ eggs/ rice/ cheese/ milk/  flour/oats. Then add some condiments. These are not the most expensive items to buy, but The list of recipes is endless for these products. If you have the basics you can have a feast. Most people are just to lazy to cook or make the effort.
Yes! Ive had hard times, but worked through them and always held on to my dreams. I still do.
I was never ashamed of being poor, it gave me and my siblings a great appreciation for life and the comforts we all have  now.
I remember standing on the top of the Prudential Tower with some of my family a few  years ago. We were laughing saying " did we ever imagine when we hadn't an ass in our pants that we would be on that spot some day with more dollars then we had ever known to spend.

" Sure ye have to hold on to your Dreams.

Jets your song evoked many many memories for me and times long ago.
Thank You!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks you Roger and Lena - I think living through tough times can make people better and buitd a lot of character. From a song writing perspective, surviving those times sure gives me a lot of ideas to write about. I'm glad you both could relate and were able to take a visit back.

J  E  T  S

HI Jeff,

I have just recieved an e-mail from Sue, who regularly visits the Forum and folllows what is happening. She was quite amused to find her cooking mentioned and I have been assured by Paul, her husband, that she still make a darn good stew and dumplings although with better, and more ingredients, these days.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hi jeff,
another good-un. sorry but we brits seem to be under the misconception that you yanks are as the saying goes;" over paid, over sexed and over here" well it seems one was not quite right anyway.

great song and as with all the others it brought back some memories of harder times, like when i was about 5 years old [1956] we still had sugar rationing, and seeing my aunty megan pour her tea into the sugar bowl to clean up the very last bits that were in it. having to bathe with my older sister in an old tin bath in front of the fire, going into other peoples gardens to steal apples, gooseberries or even runner beans, cos we were so hungry. i could go on but everyone has their own memory of those [happier?] times.

thanks for the reminder

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

hi jeff a lot of good memories ,we used to get beastings from the farm,make lovely egg custard,desperate dan cow pies,grew a lot of our own veg,blackberry pies and jam ,luncheon meat frittersthe list is endless,my mother could make a little go a long way,with six mouths to feed she was marvelous,well done stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Thanks Roger, Phill and Daddy - I guess I was more fortunate that I thought in my tough times which could have been a whole lot worse. But just like you all I really think back on the tough yet simple times with fondness sometimes almost wishing I could go through them again even though the reality of having to just get by living pay check to pay check would smack the nostalgia out of me P.D.Q.

J  E  T  S