Topic: INFLUENCE OF RELIGION IN MUSIC

Here in our little country, BELGIUM, we have 1 main religion: CHRISTIAN --> CATHOLIC. In the "horrible" inquisition time, a lot where emigrating. Also there were a lot of people from the "FLANDRES" (Belgium is in fact ARTIFICIAL) who went up North to the NETHERLANDS.
In fact the Flanders started in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Problem, every year there was a war somewhere, and the English Island was covered on the East Side by the Netherlands, at that time one of the most important countries.
Probably too important, and also around mid 16th century there was the spread of Protestantism - particularly in the cities. So people moved up NORTH or went to the New world AMERICA. New York was dutch at the beginning.
But when did the "typical American phenomenon started"? All these different religions, while here religion is going backwards the USA is one of the most religious countries.
51.3% of Americans are Protestants, 23.9% are Catholics, and 1.7% are Mormons.
What about the BAPTISTS, METHODISTS, LUTHERANS, PRESBYTERIANS, THE DISCIPLES OF CHRIST and a lot more.
If you go to church and you are a musician what KIND OF MUSIC IS PLAYED? Is this the same in all these different churches?
The Afro Americans and gospel, I was overwhelmed when I went to church in the south, to see, hear that fantastic "spectacle" So in fact I read a lot of topics about music played in church.
- 1) WHAT KIND OF MUSIC is played, BOB DYLAN, JEFF BUCKLEY? or completely different music.
- 2) WHAT KIND OF MUSIC is played in the Afro American churches, are you allowed to play blues? - 3) IS MUSIC ALLOWED IN EVERY CHURCH?
I would love to have answers, because here in our country going to church has dropped a lot.
In 1967 : 42,9% went every week to church, in 1998 only 11,3%  HOW IS THE SITUATION IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: INFLUENCE OF RELIGION IN MUSIC

gitaardocphil wrote:

HOW IS THE SITUATION IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

numbers in britain are also dropping.

I watched a program on CHannel 4 a few months ago ( accidentally) about churches or religion in the UK, not too sure what it was about really but I remember the wee guy on the tv saying a few reasons for the dwindiling numbers.
In the past 100 years we have learnt so much about space, the earth, other planets etc, People are now not needing to have a reason for life as they are getting taught how the planet and how humans evolved from teeny weeny creatures from the sea.
Also, few people although still believing have lost faith in the churches. i.e. the paedo priests and the churches protecting them ( or they did not that long ago when they knew what certain men of the cloth were up to)
Work also stops people going, years ago, or not so long ago Sunday was a day of rest. Now it is another day for companies to rake in more profit.
I am not religious in any way but I like this idea of a day for rest, keep all shops shut, even pubs. Only to be opened if there is an open mic night for a folk session to get people together.

The guy gave a few other reasons but  icannot remember everything as I was not 100% into watching it.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Different American churches will play wildly different types of music.  Anglican churches will generally play the same old liturgy hymns you probably know an love.   African Baptists churches will rock the foundations of the building with gospel choirs.   And everything in between.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I went to a huge Christian music festival a few weeks ago--20-25,000 people, 5 stages, 3 1/2 days, 14 hours of music a day--and the variety of Christian music was incredible--rock, heavy metal, thrash, industrial, rap, rap-core, it was all there....incredible time. 
Our band actually played at an african american church this past Sunday and they were wonderfully open to the style of music that we play--sort of a light rock vibe.  This was the first time they had electric guitars & a full drum kit.  We played 6 songs, they have an accapella group that did 4 traditional / spiritual types of songs--fantastic harmony, and one guy did a solo piano piece that gave me chills it was so good.
I think a lot of churches realize that regardless of the style of music, if you listen to the lyrics, the songs deal with the same themes as the oldest hymms.