Topic: Gigs

G'day everyone in Chordieland......

I've been playing for about 2 - 3 years now and I've gotten to a standard where I think I can do alright (ish anyway) at a number of songs and even have a few of my own songs up my sleeve for when I really have to clear the building tongue

My question to our more experienced Chordians is this: How does one make the transition from living room legend to actually playing a gig? Although I think the nerves would kill me I have a part of me that has the urge to go and play a gig in a small pub type establishment but I don't really know how to go about it. Do you pester the places in question / give them a cd or something? Are there other places to find out about potential gig venues or am I just missing the point completely and it's all done another way (carrier pigeon perhaps?)

I have no idea and I'd kinda like to give this a go someday so any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Re: Gigs

Hi Bud
My advice would be to go to a few open mic nights first and see how you get on.
You will get such a buzz from doing it, it will make you want to do more pubs etc if you know you are good enough.
Also I would say  keep being yourself, however you do it in your livingroom and sound good doing it, do the same when performing. Maybe smile a bit more than you would do in your livingroom. This makes the audience see you are having fun in what you are doing. This is something i lack in doing. When I put on a smile I feel fake, but I am told this works, if an audience think you are happy doing what you do they will like you more, if you look unhappy, even if you are not they will think you are a miserable git.
but more of the experienced players that gig a lot more and gig for a living will be able to confirm this.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Mark,

One of the easiest ways of making the transition is to find a local artist and do a guest spot with him. OK you will not get paid for it but there are several advantages of taking this approach. You only need to to do about 6 songs so you do not need a large repertoire, some artists will play (and sing) along with you so you have a confidence boost there as it is easier to perform with somebody on stage with you than on your own and you wil not need masses of equipment as you can plug into his.

My friend Howard who runs a music school has a regular Sunday night gig at a local restaurant and he regulary invites his up and coming pupils to do a spot with him. It gives added interest to the audience seeing someone new, it is relaxing for him to let someone else take the lead for a while, and the guest does sometimes get offered his own gig by a member of the audience (I know as I have guested with him three time and got two gigs from it).

So get out and about and talk to the performing artists and see if you can strike a deal. When you have done a couple and realised that the nerves seem to disappear a few bars into the first song you can then start and push for your own gig. I would suggest though that the first song you do is one that you do standing on your head with your hands tied behind your back and a gag in your mouth - the first one will be the one that nerves might affect so make it one you know very well.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Bud Wiser,
Open Mic Nights are a very good thing. Find a local bar that does it regularly and go for it. Tell some friends you will be there so they can cheer you on.

Make sure you have the gear you'll need - some places have only one mic for vocals and they expect each performer will be able to plug their instrument into the PA system.

Typically, each performer does only 3 or 4 songs. My advice is to do your originals and keep it simple (leave the pyrotechnics, smoke machines, and pythons at home).   James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Bud - I have been a subscriber to your youtube page for a while and have been very impressed by your talent. If you can post there for the world to see, it should be simple to play in front of a few drunks at your local pub! What I'm saying is, you've got the skills my friend - go for it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

You got some great advice from the guys replys above me,you might also go too veterans hospitals, and you also might try too play a little at senior homes,they love anybody.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Bud_wiser,

maybe you could give us a link to your "youtube" page...I'd love to see and hear some of your music.

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi Bud_wiser,

maybe you could give us a link to your "youtube" page...I'd love to see and hear some of your music.

No probs matey....here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/budwiser1877

Guys, thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated and I'll take it on board. I do really want to get my finger out and play a gig or something like that so any hints or tips anyone wants to pass on are huuuugely helpful.

Now if only I could do something to stop the overpowering compulsion to lose my lunch of the very thought of doing it :S

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Hi Bud_Wiser,

That was great, I was really impressed, I wish I was only half that good, but I'm working hard on it. Thanks for posting the link.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down