Topic: Gmaj7

Ive been playing acoustic since christmas day and loving it(avg 1hour a day) so i would discribe myself as a beginner trying to get into that intermediate phase.
I have one big problem Gmaj7 2345 version,am i the only one who finds it difficult to switch to this chord,i have small hands HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

i wish i could play like jimi hendrix

Re: Gmaj7

I just don't.  I'd just go ahead with G7 and say you're improving. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey SEAGULL1
Find Gmaj7 hard to fingered like that then look for an easier option..... low 320002 to high Gmaj7 a full open chord.
but work on the other to
Ark

Hi Seagull and welcome to Chordie,

Ark is correct there are several different ways of playing a chord and finding an easier one is probably the best alternative. If you look at the Chord chart in Resources and click on a chord it will give the different varations.

Out of interest I just looked at the Gmaj7 and found 22 different ways of playing this chord and 10 of those are open chords including, of course, the one which Ark suggested.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by NELA 2008-06-24 22:15:45)

Why not just play the chord like the Eagles do on Lyin' Eye's when they go from G to Gmaj7?

G and the Gmaj7 chord use only 2 fingers (1 finger and a thumb)

G thumb low E string 3rd fret - middle finger high E string 3rd fret.

Gmaj7 thumb low E string 3rd fret - index finger high E string 2nd fret.

Piece of cake, huh?

Nela

Nela gave you an great Gmaj7 to use.

4 fret chords are tough for most of us, but keep practicing that 2345 voicing because it is really beautiful when you get it right and movable to any key up and down the fret board.    Dickie Betts uses that voicing in C (starting it at the 7th fret) on "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". Cmaj7, Am7 (5th fret), Cmaj7, Bm7 (7th fret).  Really soulful and not easily replaced with another voicing.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Thanx lads
All points taken on board,i can play Gmaj7 various other methods but like tonydr said the voicing is particularly difficult to replicate elsewhere,i'm useing it playing ELTON JOHNS' YOUR SONG'other versions to me anyway just don't sound quite right.As i have come to realise learning guitar is frustrating but the rewards when you stick with it are so gratifying

i wish i could play like jimi hendrix

As many have pointed out previously, there are many different ways to play Gmaj7. This however, I have found is the easiest, fullest sounding, and most practical way;          Gmaj7 (3x0002)

Give everything but up.