Topic: List of 25 most infamous GTR riffs

I found this list interesting. Especially the 'Smoke on The Water' song. So many guitar players learn the hook riff and stop there. I play the entire song and it's not easy. I'v had tons of people tell me that the 'Smoke On The Water' was the first song they learned where in actuality most people only know 'the riff'. The entire song to play is awesome, especially when played on an acoustic. It was originally recorded in Gm but I play it in Em. It sounds fuller and is easier to play. Deep Purple rules!!!!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listof … itar-riffs

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Re: List of 25 most infamous GTR riffs

the intro to Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses, so many kids around my area say they know the song, when they really only know about the first 45 seconds or so. I know how to play the whole song, and it's not easy to get into some of the fingerings for the verse, and then the riff for the chorus usually gets me whenever I play it live...

I have the smoke on the water cords

I Can Play And Thats Ture  (- -)
                                           -
                                         /--/

There's some good ones on there, but there ought to be a rule that no band or artist can be mentioned twice.  Unfair rule, I know, but I often don't care about 'fair'.  In fact, I don't think that 'fair' exists in any real context.  It's just too subjective. 

Anyway, there are a few I'd like to see on there, but I don't know which ones I'd bumpt to put them in. 

Hangin' Around - Counting Crows.  It's an Alternative Rock or Adult Contemporary or whatever genre they get classified into throwback to what rock is all about.  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  The lead in scream, drum banging, and riff take you right into that land of rock and roll nothingness.

Steppinwolf - Magic Carpet Ride.  Or Born to Be Wild.  One or the other ought to be on the list.  They're both about the other thing that rock is about.  Sex. 

I'm a little surprised that Neil Young didn't appear anywhere on there.  Signs from Buffalo Springfield or estpecially Down By The River or Cinnamon Girl Rust Never Sleeps album.  those are great.  Man, I remember seeing him jamm Down By The River with Duck Dunn on bass and playing with CSNY in a recent tour.  Maybe about ten years ago.  Anyway, David Crosby just gave up trying to play along, Graham Nash was keeping up on keyboards but was just playing root chords, no riffing.  Steven Stills set down his SG and I thought he was out for the count, but a roadie handed him a Gibson Flying V and MAN did he tear it up.  Neil Young had his archtop Gretsch (I think) with the whammy bar and the two of them were smoking hot.  Duck Dunn never lost pace, stayed in the box, and set one heck of a foundation for those guys.  Anyway, I'm biased to that song.

Green Onions - Duck Dunn on bass and "The Colenol" Steve Cropper on rhythm guitar.  Yeah, yeah.  It's a keyboard song.  You can't tell me that you aren't listening to the rhythm guitar work when you hear Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs. 

Blue Skies, the Willie Nelson version off of Stardust.  Holy schmoley, that is some seriously good work.  You can call it jazz if you want to, but that is some seriously rocking jazz then. 

It's mellow, but it's famous, James Taylor's intro to Carolina on My Mind or Country Road.  You know it and you love it.  Even if you don't want to.  (I do, that sissified 70's folk/pop is what I'm all about). 

Jim Croce - Rapid Roy.  It's been duplicated and triplicated and quadrulicated all over the place, but so far as I know, Jim Croce is the one who took that race day trumpet call and made a guitar lick out of it. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Little Wing.  I like it better than Jimi Hendrix' version. 

While we're on Jimi Hendrix, Crosstown Traffic.  He had lick after incredible lick, but that lick at the beginning of Crosstown Traffic has me reaching for the volume knob every time. 

Just too many bands not mentioned, well OK Jimi Hendrix was mentioned, that needed some kind of recognition that multiple visits by the multiple bands - well, just doesn't seem "fair."   smile

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think stairway to heaven by zep is the most abused for not playing it all the way and smoke on the water is about the same I cant remember going into a music store where some guy wasen't playing just the intro (and poorly at that) to impress anyone in earshot of his musicianship (or lack thereof) ive seen signs in music stores with "no stairway to heaven"with a red slash diagonally across it.you could add chuck berrys riff on "johnny b good"to the list also but most guitar players can the play 3 chords required for the song but few can play them with the feeling chuck berry put into them. a guitarist I remember seeing had a hit with a instrumental version of "memphis" Lonnie Mack that was his only one but he did a great job on the song smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"