Topic: New acoustic player. Need advice on...

Hello everyone,

I am new to playing the acoustic and need some tips or advice. I have been noticing every time I try to play it hurts my fingers a lot. Is there a way to reduce the pain? Also Is there some where or if anyone can tell me how to read cords/tabs? Also I found out when you look up a chord there could be a lot of ways to play that chord. How do you know which one is the right one for acoustic or for that song your playing?

Thanks,
Silentshadows

Re: New acoustic player. Need advice on...

The way you get over sore fingers is to play more.   Play until it hurts, play a little more, and play every day.

As far as which chord voicing to play for a given chord, it really depends on what the chord prior to the one you're playing now, and what the next one you're going to play is.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

For the sore fingers, I would also suggest a person play consistantly/frequently, even if it is ten minutes every day or so.  This "playing" can be looking at various chord configurations and placing his/her fingers into those chord positions (use chords from several songs you would like to learn).  This will allow your fingers to begin building up tough skin on the tips, eventually prolonging your ability to practice/play (it pays off!).  This simple effort will also begin to develop the muscle memory and dexterity within a person's fretboard hand (it feels goofy at first, so be it) as well as teaches a person the relation between and the chord shapes and the sounds which they produce, so give the guitar a couple strums once the fingers are in the correct place. 

If the chord you are trying to play is too difficult, play an easier version or a different chord altogether.  With experience, as your other respondent mentioned, you will begin to understand how certain finger positionings will allow you to flow out of one chord and into the next chord.  Eventually, everyone has his or her own style.  Just put the time in and be willing to "fail" to succeed.

Last suggestion...take every opportunity to sit down with other players and learn through observation and question.  People like to share their knowledge.  Enjoy the ride...you'll suprise yourself!

Pura Vida mi amigo!

buy a Martin..

The richest child is poor without music.!  smile  cool

5 (edited by zenbutcher 2008-05-23 19:56:40)

I'll add a little...

When I turned 16 my Dad made me learn to drive his 1978, three-speed in the column, Long-bed, Chevy Pick-up truck.  He said, "If you can drive this, you can drive almost any vehicle on the road."  I did and he was right.  This applies to guitar, too.  An acoustic is a lot harder on the fingers than an electric, but you gain strength by playing one.  You might try having the string height adjusted professionally to lower the "action".

As for finding the right chords, just don't be afraid to learn new "shapes".  I have a "C" that I learned from playing "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison when I was a kid.  It's 3 3 0 2 3 x (from high "E" to low "E").  My buddy and I have called it the "Poison 'C'" since then.  Sounds wonderful and I use it often instead of a regular "C", but I never see it called for in chord charts of songs.  In other words, you'll develop you're favorite ways to play a chord over time depending on what sounds good to you.

Lastly, if you love playing, you'll constantly discover new chords and new ways of forming them.  I recently learned "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan (or Raymond O'Sullivan) and THAT song has some unique chords that I have never played.  But, I have since used some of them in songs I have written.  It's like anything else in life, if you are a true student, you will never stop learning.