1 (edited by Musher333 2008-05-03 11:32:10)

Topic: Do You Know Any Good Songs?

I have been playing a nearly 2 years now but it seems that when i go to learn a song it uses the same riffs as a one i learnt not long before, i was wondering if anyone had some good songs they could recommend. Even if they are quite hard it will be something that i can learn when i am that bit better,

Thanks.

Re: Do You Know Any Good Songs?

i have the same problem. just keep your ears out for origal sounding songs. try something more mellow like say it ain't so from Weezer or maybe a theme song you have heard. i know the tabs to the mario theme are on chordie.

3 (edited by 06sc500 2008-05-04 19:47:48)

For electric, I'd reccomend anything by Eric Johnson, especially Cliffs of Dover.  They are quite difficult, but well worth it.
For acoustic, I'd reccomend learning the songs on the Eric Clapton Unplugged album.  Actually, I'd highly recommend buying a copy of Guitar Tab White Pages.  I have volume one, which has lots of good stuff, and a huge variety.  Of course, most of the tabs here on Chordie are pretty accurate.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

"Little Lover's So Polite"  by Silversun Pickups (<-- My favorite band). 
The solo is very cool.  The chordes are pretty moderate in difficulty.  For some reason, F# is hard for me.
Chordie does not have the correct chords initially, so you will have to find variations.  ( You should hang around the 5th or 4th fret.   I know; I have seen them in concert and he does not use the chords chordie says.) 
There is a video on youtube for it.

Keep shreding

If you like rock, stick with stuff like green day. older stuff is a bit harder.
Good luck

Well i don't realy agree with you about older stuff generally being harder, The beatles generally had songs that could be simplified and a few of Creams songs are quite simple, i understand however that i am only naming 2 bands compared to the hundreds out there.

Thanks for the imput so far.

Mush, i'd say it depends on the bands you are trying to play along to.

I mean, I started off learning Guns N Roses to death and that was good fun because Slash and Izzy had some pretty inventive stuff. Overall i've learned bits and bobs from lots of bands. I'll give you a list of songs I can play (Been playing just over a year so far) so you should be able to play some of this stuff methinks already then theres maybe a few not your usual style you might want to give a shot.

Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, Back Off Bitch, whole lotta rosie, November Rain, Rocket Queen, Paradise City, Out ta get me, My michelle, Anything Goes
ACDC - Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Dirty Deeds
Audioslave - Cochise
Ozzy/Sabbath - Crazy Train, Paranoid
Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer, Its my life
Breaking Point - One of a kind
Bullet for my Valentine - Hit the Floor, Cries in Vain
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Foo Fighters - DOA, Resolve, One by one, Learn to fly, Best of You
Funeral for a friend - Streetcar, Into Oblivion
Iron Maiden - 2 minutes to midnight, The Trooper, Run to the Hills
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile, Purple Haze
Lit - my own worst enemy
Megadeth - Crush Em
Metallica - Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy, Sad but True, Whiskey in the Jar, I Disappear
Muse - Knights of Cydonia, Stockholme Syndrome, New Born, Time is running out, Hysteria, Plug in Baby
Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit, Come as you are
Papa Roach - Between angels and insects, Dead Cell, Last Resort, Blood Brothers
Santana - Smooth
Stereophonics - Dakota, Bartender and the Thief
Van Halen - You Really Got Me, Eruption
Velvet Revolver - Slither
Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief
Trivium - Dying in your Arms, Crusade, Anthem (We are the fire)
Offspring - Pretty Fly (for a white guy), Walla Walla, Million Miles Away, Want you bad
Ataris - Boys of Summer
Steve Vai - Halo Theme tune (Yes I am a geek!)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Paul Gilbert - Scarified
Linkin Park - Bleed it out
Danzig - Mother
Avenged Sevenfold - Almost Easy, Scream, Critical Acclaim, Bat Country, Beast and the Harlot, Afterlife, A Little Piece of Heaven
A-Team Theme Tune

There you go, theres a few suggestions from the sheets of tabs I have in my folder. Theres others I know too that mates have taught me but i'm sure those above are more than enough to keep you occupied

hawk nelson is a pretty sweet band...most of their songs involve mostly power chords.  but the solos they put in them are really cool.  they are really not to difficult but have a really great sound. :-)

*<3*jammingurl93*<3*

i got 1 thing to say JEMI HENDRIX!!!!!!!!!!!....and atreau.............and avenged seven-fold lol

avenged
its impossible to play the solos but(haha you can tell im not that good)
and paramore if your into them are good for different sounding songs

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

Anything coldplay is quite good, the chords here are good. You could get one of the official tab-y sheet music book thingswhich is more of a challenge - When I first got the "parachutes" book I couldn't look at it for about a year, I was just like "AHHHH too hard!" but then as you look at it and improve you can sort of do it and it's really satisfying. I can just about play yellow now, it's taken me a while but I've done it!