Topic: John Prine & Emmylou Harris

Hello Everyone,

Not to brag but my family and I are going to see John Prine and Emmylou Harris at the Redrock Amphitheatre on June 6.My daughter is only 20 years old but she has a very broad musical liking,her and I have done some Prine songs since she was just a little girl.
   I am excited I have wanted to see him for years,his first album come out when i just got out of High School,there was a group of us rowdy's that hung out together that knew every song on that album and through the years it never changed.Some of my old friends have past on and I will be thinkin of them,I have played and dedicated some of their favorites to them,but this will be much better.

Later Wayne P

Prinos Forever!

Later, Wayne P

Re: John Prine & Emmylou Harris

Hey wlbaye ,
   You know , I had never heard of John Prine until my playing partner introduced me to his music . I love it .....
   When we get together he does a lot of Prine stuff and I play fiddle on them . It's my kind of music .........
   Have a great time at the concert.................

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Wow!  Should be great concert.  I admire both artists immensely and they'll be playing at a fantastic venue.  Should be a great crowd.

One of my all-time favorite Prine songs is "Far From Me" off his first album.  In just a few lines he tells a story that could fill a whole novel.

Harris's vocal talents are stunning.  I have admired her musicianship for years.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

It sounds great. I know EMMYLOU HARRIS SONGS but JOHN PRINE, I just know the name, thanks to CHORDIE, but I didn't listen to a song.

QUESTION: Is that concert or both performers something in the style of PLANT and KRAUSE? I love that album, in the AMAZON sale charts number one for weeks.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

wlbaye

Yer gonna love the concert!!1
I have never heard of Emmylou Harris but that doesnt matter.

I went to see John Prine last year in Glasgow. I got a ticket along with another 12 or 13 folk. I liked what I had heard of John prine so I thought I would go along and see what he was like, hearing that he was fabulous the year before.
I know he is getting on a bit and had cancer treatment to his throat but He can still pull off a great gig. His speaking voice was a bit hoarse but his singing was still top notch! and as for his guitar playing, well it is probably the best I have ever heard an acoustic guitar getting played in a concert.
I have mentioned this a few times on chordie before but i dont mind mentioning again

enjoy the gig and give us a report on it.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Prine is an amazing artist. Didn't he come back from throat surgery and sort of re-invent himself recently

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

James McCormick wrote:

Wow!  Should be great concert.  I admire both artists immensely and they'll be playing at a fantastic venue.  Should be a great crowd.

One of my all-time favorite Prine songs is "Far From Me" off his first album.  In just a few lines he tells a story that could fill a whole novel.

Harris's vocal talents are stunning.  I have admired her musicianship for years.

Hey thanks everyone, James if you are familiar with "Hello in There"  I have always been a bit baffled how a 25 year old kid would write a song  about real life and gettin old, I guess he must have been wise beyond his years.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

gitaardocphil wrote:

It sounds great. I know EMMYLOU HARRIS SONGS but JOHN PRINE, I just know the name, thanks to CHORDIE, but I didn't listen to a song.

QUESTION: Is that concert or both performers something in the style of PLANT and KRAUSE? I love that album, in the AMAZON sale charts number one for weeks.

Hello again Doc,

Yes they are billed as playing together ,He has done some gigs with Bonnie Raitt and others, that were great.Oh the RedRocks Amphitheatre is 15 miles west of Denver Colorado.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

What a great couple at a great venue.  Oh man, that is going to be just so cool - and to share it with your daughter too.  How cool is that? 

My daughter did the same thing as yours, getting interested in her old man's music.  Her lullabies have long been John McCutcheon, Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffett, etc.  She asks me to sing her the same song night after night until she memorizes it.  I didn't know that was what she was doing until one time when she was four.  She had been in the shower for a long time and I went to check on her.  She was just fine, but when I heard this darling little four year old blonde girl who had never known hunger or a cold, damp night without a warm dry bed singing "Looks like nothing's going to change, everything still remains the same, I can't do what ten people tell me to, so I guess I'll remain unchanged..."    Well, it just cracked me up.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

wlbaye wrote:

Hey thanks everyone, James if you are familiar with "Hello in There"  I have always been a bit baffled how a 25 year old kid would write a song  about real life and gettin old, I guess he must have been wise beyond his years.

Wayne P

It is great how writers can put themselves into someone else shoes and write about their life in a song. Like you said " hello in there" was written when he was 25, yet he sings it as if he is aged 85.
eric Bogle done the same with "and now I'm easy". he wrote that when he was younger but singing about life as a farmer in his 80's

Hello in there is a powerful song about getting old and being old and respecting your elders. Or that is the way I see it.
Love it, but then I love all his songs.

ken

11 (edited by Old Doll 2008-05-15 20:37:40)

Wilbaye,

If i could type this in green i would.  I would love to see those 2 great artist together.  But the real thing.  Oh how lucky you are!

Ive loved both of them many many years. I also would love to see a show with Iris Dement, Another great love of mine,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8

Have a blast. Ya lucky duck.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

upyerkilt - Emmylou Harris is worth knowing about.  She has several excellent solo albums and is also famous as a duet singer with tons of artists.  I have seen her in concert a couple of times and was blown away by her artistry.  She always has a great bunch of musicians in her bands.

Lots of good stuff on YouTube.  Try this one for starters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjxeXVYsUg

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

upyerkilt wrote:
wlbaye wrote:

Wayne P

It is great how writers can put themselves into someone else shoes and write about their life in a song. Like you said " hello in there" was written when he was 25, yet he sings it as if he is aged 85.
eric Bogle done the same with "and now I'm easy". he wrote that when he was younger but singing about life as a farmer in his 80's

Hello in there is a powerful song about getting old and being old and respecting your elders. Or that is the way I see it.
Love it, but then I love all his songs.

ken

Ken , Hello in There , is my favorite Prine song ,it was also my best friends favorite song and he passed away a few years back,it was a hard one for me to play and sing for awhile after he passed.We thought it was just a good song about old folks when we were younger but the older I get it takes on a new meaning.

Later, Wayne P

Prine is one of my musical heroes - A lousy vocalist (if you judge vocals by range), a simplistic guitarist (paraphrasing: "I was taught A, C, D, G chords as a beginner and I just never found a reason to learn any more"). But what a lyricist and songwriter! This quote sums it up:

Clelia Adams - Singer, Australian pop idol
on the song "Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness"-- "Soulful, heart wrenching song from master songwriter John Prine. Nothing else can be added to this piece, the simplicity and complexity of the lyric says it all. This song is often named "the song I wish I had written" by other famous songwriters."

I wish I could be there.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

thanks for the link James,
Watched a few now.
Not bad but would take a few listenings to get to know the songs and love them. But I like dwhat I heard/saw

Ken

Krauss, Plant and Emmylou were all on "Later with Jules Holland" this week on the BBC. You can catch it on BBC I Player if you have it - only 7 more hours to go, so you would need to be quick.

You can get it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

You could also sneak a peek at "Ceird an Ceoil" which is an excellent  series on instruments in Irish music which is also on I Player. It has English sub-titles for non-Irish speakers like myself.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Hi Alansheeran,

Thats a great link for BBC ok, but do you know it wont play outside the UK ?
Unfortunately!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

She don't like her eggs all runny, she thinks crossing her legs is funny
she looks down her nose at money and she gets it on like the Easter Bunny
She's my baby, I'm her honey and I'm never gonna let her go...

I love that song.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

19 (edited by wlbaye 2008-05-18 16:07:01)

Hello Jerome, I like that one too, if you like John Prine you might like a Canadian Singer Songwriter   Fred Eaglesmith  he has some great tunes and some on the lighter side also.

Wayne P

He aint been laid in a month of Sunday"s
Caught him once he was sniffin my undies

Later, Wayne P

He ain't to bright but he gets things done
he drinks his beer like it's oxygen...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

He's my baby,I'm his honey never gonna let him go.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

In spite of Ourselves...great tune. I love Iris Dement's voice with Prine's. @ unique voices that sound great together

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I first saw John Prine back in 1976, in Galax Virginia, I was hooked from that point on, the first song I learned on Guitar was "Paradise" by John Prine..it was a 3 day outdoor event, everyone who was anyone was there...From Prine..Bonnie Raitt, David Bromberg, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Dillards, from Andy Griffith show, even Jerry Garcia..Mac Wiseman...So many now that I can't remember who all was there, it was estimated that over 300, 000 people were there, it was great, one of my favorite times in my younger life, and John Prine was great, also..you guys should listen to a band called "Goose Creek Symphony" if you like John Prine..they are absolutely great...a couple of their best albums are "Welcome to Goose Creek"...and "Words of Ernest"...give them a listen..you'll be glad you did!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Saw John Prine in The Waterfront Belfast great show,He played with 2 others guitar and double bass.They went for a break John played on and chatted told a few jokes a great night. Been a fan ever since. If you get a chance John,s a must see. .B.