Topic: Why are some musicians so self destructive?

I hate to read, but I read the biography of the ROLLING STONES written by BILL WYMAN.
If you read their lifestyle, it is almost not to understand how they still stand as a rock.
A concert of the Rolling Stones is still a big event, and despite their drug abuse, the women, in fact the R&R definition: SEX, DRUGS ROCK "N" ROLL, they are still in a great condition.
How many 65 YEAR OLD MEN ARE ABLE TO DO WHAT MICK JAGGER CAN?

In the late 60ties and early 70ties a lot of bands destroyed their rooms. I read that one of the worst (+ VERY STRONG PHYSICAL) was JOHN BONHAM from Led Zeppelin, the late KEITH MOON (WHO) were champions in destruction ON stage or in their ROOM.
Since months this "destruction performers"are buzzing in my head.
- WHY
- FOR WHAT PURPOSE
And worse they are SELF DESTRUCTIVE too, and both are dead.
Is their something wrong in their heads?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by mixter102 2008-05-13 17:36:06)

Re: Why are some musicians so self destructive?

It's evolution Doc, only the strongest drunks and addicts survive to reproduce.

It's all part of the Rock-n-Roll mythos,  If an average joe gets drunk and smashes up his hotel room he goes to jail,  gets sent to counseling, pays fines, pays for damages, and hopefully learns his lesson.   Rock stars don't get any of this, they have managers, and lawyers to pay the bills and clean it all up.  Plus you can't put a price on the publicity, and street cred this gives a band.

do you think only musicians are self-destructive?   Get a life, doc.  booze and drug addiction is rampant in our society from top to bottom and in all professions and trades.  I was a teen in the 70's and my generation is full of nightmares about overdoses, addictions, failed livers, bulemia,  fatal car and motorcycle accidents and, later, AIDS.   They are/were lawyers, businessman, engineers, mothers and fathers, electricians, carpenters and, of course, musicians.  Those rich, famous entertainers are just like the rest of us, but with way more cash and better guitars.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

totally agree with tony there.
stars only get media attention because of who they are, there are a lot people worse off and on a lot more substances than a lot of stars.
And apart from that, the stars probably like the attention as being hell raisers, it gets them a bigger profile then silly wee kids think its cool and say they like them.
must be some sort of rebelious thing ( I am speaking from experience)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Dear TONY I agree 100%, even 1000% I belonged in that category once. The greatest dirtiest pigs are MED SCHOOL STUDENTS.
At the time I finished my studies drugs were still in a TABOO sphere, but there was ALCOHOL.
AND I SWEAR when you see 40 different patients a day, starting at 07.30 and back at 22.30, your head is so full of THOUGHTS and impossible to stop that it is so easy to START taking "substances".

As MD the problem was maybe worse, in the early 80ties you had a so easy access to heavy but real heavy stuff FOR FREE, and I have known some who sold it 15$ for 1 pill. Coming home and a restless mind, just open a littke door and think: WHAT CAN I TAKE TODAY.

THE BIGGEST ISSUE IS THE INTERACTION PERSON VERSUS ENVIRONMENT
If you participate also "social life" dozens of people who don't have you as doc, start firing questions and questions. The professions mentioned by tony are very accurate, but a little correction you will find them everywhere but the top 3 = CEO, MED DOCS, LAWYERS. So I GOT A LIFE TONY. GOT, because I'm unfortunately disabled now. 1 detail ESCAPE IN DRUGS OR ALCOHOL WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEMS, it might relieve your "pain" for a while, your INNER pain and what starts with a BIG WOW EFFECT after 1 pill you're running out of time real fast to end with 20 pills to feel decent, and it doesn't take much longer than a month.
Well maybe a good idea to open a private "hospital" for addicts.
It is so strange the evolution from a taboo to an almost normal phenomenon.
What's so strange is that since my car crash caused me to stop there was no more an "urge" to "dream away". And we all are old enough to remember the FAMOUS DEATH LIST IN THE 70TIES
with LOU REED, KEITH RICHARDS ON TOP. If you get caught at the Canadian border like in the case of KEITH, did he spend time in jail? NO NO NO he only lost 30 years later the title "SIR" and is still pissed of that JAGGER is "SIR" Mick.
KEN look to pictures of ARTISTS without make-up BRITNEY, LOPEZ, and as top of the bill PARIS, if you see them without make-up, in particular PARIS, a dark haired woman with a nose pointing to PARIS walking on long thin "legs". see AMY WINEHOUSE, I have seen a lot in my life but such a vulgarity uneducated stupid and tattooed mean woman is even too much for me. WOW what a discussion. S O R R Y

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

when you spend your whole adult life surrounded by people telling you how wonderful you are I think you're more likely to turn into a sh*^&* bag. I'd love to feel bad for all these lunatics who are off the deep end but most of us normal folks are worrying about raising families, paying mortgages, etc. to act in such a manner. The percentage of rock stars who' s behavior is over-the-top is unbelievable. A lot are sheltered children. I know we all go through phases but to acting like this in your 40's 50's and 60's seems ridiculous.
An excellent question DOC is why does getting everything you ever dreamed of and more result in such behavior and tradegy (Elvis, Joplin, Hendrix, etc.)???????

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I don't mean to make light of your disability or history, but it seems to me I have given an awful lot of dollar bills to vulgar, uneducated, stupid and tattooed mean women, usually while they hang on a pole in their skivvies.

Sometimes Doc, I just like to laugh a little bit to ease the pain.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix