Topic: Long Way Round

Anyone follow it? Been over for a while but still a great show, and it's convinced me finally to pull the maps out and start planning my own long haul bike trip. Even better than the show is the books, both Long Way Round and Long Way Down.

Anyone done a big bike trip? Dual purpose, street, dirt? I'm torn between continental Europe, the U.S and Canada, a few Carribean islands or an in-depth tour of the Dominican Republic.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Re: Long Way Round

I have a huge man crush on Ewan McGregor.  I'm a massive motorcycle freak, and bought this on DVD.  The best stuff he did for motorcycles was "Faster,"  a documentary on the MotoGP race circuit.

www.fastermovie.com

Fantastic.

I try to do at least one major motorcycle trip a year.  I live in Seattle, and I've done Glacier National Park, Eureka and the Avenue of the Giants, and the Telluride Bluegrass Festival.  I've ridden motorcycles across the country in each direction (north south, east west) and have been somewhat of a nut about it for 20 years.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Seen "The long way round" twice and got the book.
Ewan and Charlie did a great job with trip. They have done another trip called "The long way Down" Where they go through Europe and down Africa to Cape Town.
Though that trip was a bit more commericalised (They had more money) still good though.
Also Charlie Borman did the the Dakar rally in 2006. Now that is some trip. He broke both arms doing it and consider he got off light. Great book and also a DVD I think.
Ark

4 (edited by SGinCYQX 2008-04-15 00:09:33)

Read Long Way Down and Long Way Round. Those books and a week off in a tropical country are a bad combination-they put crazy ideas in your head.

I'm much more of an off-road guy and I only really want a street-legal dirtbike so I don't have to trailer it, but a big trip like this is getting more and more tempting...

Even better, my grandfather is still around and still riding and ideally I'd like to do a trip with him and my Dad. Probably 30 years ago now, Dad did a 30-day trip around the U.S and Canada with a few friends on a then-new '77 Suzuki GS750. I think that's what we'll do to start with, that's probably plenty for my first real trip.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

KLR.  That bike is bullet proof, and will do pretty much anything.

KLR is not to be-I can't afford it yet and Dad's got his heart set on a BMW F650GS twin. That's Ewan's doing too, of course. wink .

-Jimi Hendrix.

The F650 is a single thumper, and I believe the engines are made by Rotax.  It's not what they rode in that movie.  What the guys rode in LWR was R1150GS Adventures.

If you can't afford a KLR, you surely can't afford the GS.

The KLR is the best all around dual sport made.    It's cheaper to purchase and own, lighter,  gets better mileage, and it's bullet proof.  It is tall, though, so if you're inseam challenged, the F650 may be a better option.

I apologize if this a thread high-jacking, I sincerely hope it is not looked upon as such.....
        I can't resist..... I gotta tell my most memorable motorcycle story.....
          The year was 1983, I was 17, my Grandfather, Atchoo we affectionately called him, was 71. He rode a fully eqiupped Honda Gold Wing, I rode a VF500F Honda Interceptor with a tank bag...........
           We left from our homes in southwest Virginia and headed north on a 3 day road trip. We rode like the wind through the tunnels of West Virginia, over the picturesque bridges and rivers of Ohio, into the mormon communities of Pennsylvania. All wonderful on the drive up, we made great time, my hot-headed, right-winged, highly opinionated grandfather showed me a laid back cool dude that I had never seen. He even bought me a quart of beer for me to guzzle down with him and his vodka and tonic as we rested up for the next step of our trek......
          The ride back was going just as good as the ride up until we passed through this little town called Gaulley Bridge, West Virginia. The roads were a little damp, the weather a bit windy, and railroad tracks crossed our main travelling road often. My good-ole Granddad always had to take the lead and look back often to see if I was still with him. He looked back once too often and lost control of his black, shiny Gold-Wing and hit the ground hard. I parked my bike and ran over to him as fast as i could. Before I could get to him he popped up and grabbed his badly cut right knee. He had a horse-shoe sized gash that caused his patella knee flesh to fall downward towards his shin. He looked at his ripped polyester pants, grabbed his knee, patted the torn flesh back where it was supposed to go and said, " Toney, I think I need to go to the hospital."....
    Luckily for us there were some good samaritans who drove him to a nearby hospital and our relatives made the 5 hour drive with a pick-up truck to transport my badly banged-up Grandfather and his motorcycle back to our home.............
       My Grandfather recovered from his injuries relatively quickly but didn't do much cycling after our trip. His health began to decline and he died 18 months later from cancer. I think he knew all the while something was wrong and wanted to go for one last ride. I'm glad he chose me as his travelin' buddy............

Give everything but up.

Been riding motorcycles for 40 years,building choppers and restoring old bikes,the memories of bike trips are the best ever.Sharing the trips with friends is the best.

Pulled into Deadwood SD in 1977 on a bad azz chopper I had just finished building and pulled up in front of the Ranger Bar,still had Brothels upstairs then and live music at the bar. Picked up a young lady that wanted a chopper ride,fortunately it was in the days of hotpants and my buddies were so impressed watching us pull away with nothing but a tailight and butt cheeks to be seen they built choppers for the upcoming season.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

jerome.oneil wrote:

The F650 is a single thumper, and I believe the engines are made by Rotax.  It's not what they rode in that movie.  What the guys rode in LWR was R1150GS Adventures.

If you can't afford a KLR, you surely can't afford the GS.

The KLR is the best all around dual sport made.    It's cheaper to purchase and own, lighter,  gets better mileage, and it's bullet proof.  It is tall, though, so if you're inseam challenged, the F650 may be a better option.

I can't afford the KLR, Dad can. He's set on the BMW, though, wanted one since the Adventure series were new. The new 650's are the same engines as the new 800's, just mildly detuned, so they're a twin. We looked at the R1200, which is the replacement for the 1150, but it's just too heavy.

Southpaw, that's a great story. I really hope I get the chance to do a trip with my grandfather before he sells his Volusia.

-Jimi Hendrix.

The number in the model refers to the displacement of the engine.  The F650 is a 650cc single, and always has been.  The F800 is new, and it's an inline twin.  They're both great bikes, but they aren't even remotely the same engine.   It's still not up to KLR standards, particularly since you can get a brand new KLR for half what you'll pay for the Beemer.

And parts and service?  Beemer will bend you over.  And this is a dual sport.  It's gonna get dropped in the mud, and the snow, and the dirt, so those things come up.

Observe.

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8273/18falllk0.jpg

Note the fancy new KLR behind me, not tipped over.

All the GS's are heavy.  Heck, all the BMW bikes are heavy.  I rode a 1200GS and I'll be honest, the boxer motor was pretty uninspiring. It felt like I was driving a Honda CIVIC.  The K1200R, though.  Now that was entertaining.

jerome.oneil wrote:

The number in the model refers to the displacement of the engine.  The F650 is a 650cc single, and always has been.  The F800 is new, and it's an inline twin.  They're both great bikes, but they aren't even remotely the same engine.   It's still not up to KLR standards, particularly since you can get a brand new KLR for half what you'll pay for the Beemer.

And parts and service?  Beemer will bend you over.  And this is a dual sport.  It's gonna get dropped in the mud, and the snow, and the dirt, so those things come up.

Observe.

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8273/18falllk0.jpg

Note the fancy new KLR behind me, not tipped over.

All the GS's are heavy.  Heck, all the BMW bikes are heavy.  I rode a 1200GS and I'll be honest, the boxer motor was pretty uninspiring. It felt like I was driving a Honda CIVIC.  The K1200R, though.  Now that was entertaining.

Always was. Not now. The 650 single now resides in the G650X, which is a standard street legal dirt bike. The 800 twin is in the 650 with a different camshaft and a milder state of tune, as well as chain drive. Also lighter and a lower standover. We did a fair bit of research into everything from KTM's to Suzuki's to Yamaha's and everything else. This is a new change for 08.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I apologize if this a thread high-jacking, I sincerely hope it is not looked upon as such.....
        I can't resist..... I gotta tell my most memorable motorcycle story.....
          The year was 1983, I was 17, my Grandfather, Atchoo we affectionately called him, was 71. He rode a fully eqiupped Honda Gold Wing, I rode a VF500F Honda Interceptor with a tank bag...........
           We left from our homes in southwest Virginia and headed north on a 3 day road trip. We rode like the wind through the tunnels of West Virginia, over the picturesque bridges and rivers of Ohio, into the mormon communities of Pennsylvania. All wonderful on the drive up, we made great time, my hot-headed, right-winged, highly opinionated grandfather showed me a laid back cool dude that I had never seen. He even bought me a quart of beer for me to guzzle down with him and his vodka and tonic as we rested up for the next step of our trek......
          The ride back was going just as good as the ride up until we passed through this little town called Gaulley Bridge, West Virginia. The roads were a little damp, the weather a bit windy, and railroad tracks crossed our main travelling road often. My good-ole Granddad always had to take the lead and look back often to see if I was still with him. He looked back once too often and lost control of his black, shiny Gold-Wing and hit the ground hard. I parked my bike and ran over to him as fast as i could. Before I could get to him he popped up and grabbed his badly cut right knee. He had a horse-shoe sized gash that caused his patella knee flesh to fall downward towards his shin. He looked at his ripped polyester pants, grabbed his knee, patted the torn flesh back where it was supposed to go and said, " Toney, I think I need to go to the hospital."....
    Luckily for us there were some good samaritans who drove him to a nearby hospital and our relatives made the 5 hour drive with a pick-up truck to transport my badly banged-up Grandfather and his motorcycle back to our home.............
       My Grandfather recovered from his injuries relatively quickly but didn't do much cycling after our trip. His health began to decline and he died 18 months later from cancer. I think he knew all the while something was wrong and wanted to go for one last ride. I'm glad he chose me as his travelin' buddy............

Great story SouthPaw - I am traveling those same roads weekly - through the tunnels of VA into what is very rural WV for my new job (a large federal prison in Welch, WV). Those twisty mountain roads are just perfect for a bike trip.

I have a bit of a bike story myself - In the original "gas crisis" (late 70's), my Mom purchased a Honda CB125 - the smallest "street" bike made. Our family car was a station wagon, but she drove her bike to work and school daily, year round - she looked like the Michelin Man in her snow suit, but it got 100 miles to the gallon - such a deal! Anyway, I used that bike in my college years because car parking on campus was so difficult, but there were always abundant spaces for motorcycles - I looked silly (I'm 6'-4") on that small bike, but it worked great. During this same time frame, my car must have been is the shop, and my buddy must have been having similar car problems. So for a few days, we had to share a ride on my (or my mom's really -  old bike) - One day on the way to work, pulling out from a stop sign - I left him on his butt in the middle of a very busy road while I was chasing my "wheelie" down the street - lesson learned (2) guys pushing 200 pounds each should not get on the back of a CB125 - if you do - take off slooooowly. LOL

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Dad's new BMW should be here sometime next month. My CRF will follow shortly after.

-Jimi Hendrix.