Topic: Am I Going to Have Problems?

Hey all,

I'm teaching myself guitar.  I've been playing for a few months, and can do a few songs, which is exciting!  However, I'm worried.  Since I'm not taking lessons, I don't know if I may be developing habits that will hurt me in the future.  So what I'm wondering is, is it safe to teach yourself basic guitar?  I'd like to know anything specific I should watch out for, or anything specific that I really won't be able to do right unless I get some instruction, and any specific bad habits that I'm very likely to develop.  I don't plan on playing like Hendrix, I just like being able to pick out a song here and there.  Nevertheless...
Thanks!

Re: Am I Going to Have Problems?

Unless you are going to try and make music a career then don't worry about it. Play what and how you feel. If you like to play a standard G instead of a full G then do so. I would do some searchs on youtube about beginner mistakes to see if people have any adivce.

I'd recommend at least getting some lessons (even if only a few or on line/dvd type). Otherwise you may develop some habits that'll be hard to break later. I'm prettty much self taught and now struggle with good hand position all the time. I think if you start out technically sound then you've got a better chance to progress later. It will also give you some fundamental comprehension of music theory which will save you later (if you don't already have it). A good teacher will instruct you without you even knowing it. If you're teacher's doing it right, you'll look forward to your 45 minute jam session rather than instruction. And some day early on after praticing really hard, you'll have that "WOW" moment when you rip out a jam. I wish I had taken more lessons years ago. I think I'd be a better player. Just me 2 cents.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

One bad habit you can easily get into is not keeping a steady rhythm - not playing in time. This you can teach yourself by counting along or getting a metronone.
Once your timing is good you are half way home and you can work on the rest - but I think it is the most important thing. As others for their opinion because it can be hard to hear your own flaws!

Shane

If you can find one get on a course where you'll be learning with lots of other beginners. Individual tuition is fine  but you sort of need to know what to ask for. Beginners Course turn the pain of learning into fun as you are all in the same boat, all learning off each other as well as the course tutor.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Of course you'll have problems.  There is no way to learn anything without running into some kind of problem.  Getting started with an instructor, perhaps through a group course at a community center or something like that could be a good way to pick up the guitar and start making the first sounds without falling into really bad habits.  For instance, my daughter picks up her guitar upside down every time.  That's a bad habit. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1)Thumb placement-thumb should not wrap around fret board. Thumb should be placed on the middle to the lower third of the back of the neck. This is very important in the early stages of learning in that it makes the far reaching chords easier to attain. As you mature and become more comfortable and fluid with your chord changes the occasional thumb reach around will be acceptable and useful.
2)String control-be aware of strings ringing out that aren't intended to do so. Example; many students of mine when playing a C chord play the low(fat) E as well. This, in most cases does not work and it sounds sloppy. Muting or dampening strings (not in the framework for a particular chord )with the palm of your strumming hand is something to be aware of.
3)Not looking at strumming hand- Look at the fretboard and develop a feel for strumming or picking. Also, take some time away from the guitar and visualize chord placement in your mind. It really helps.
4)Guitar jargon(language) If one goes from the first fret to fifth fret, one is moving UP the fretboard. If one is going from the fifth fret to first fret, one is moving Down the fretboard. Many people confuse the direction and it drives me crazy(as an instructor) It goes by pitch, as the sound gets higher, Up we go. As the sound gets lower, Down we go.

Good luck and don't forget the most important rule of playing guitar; love and cherish every moment a guitar is in your hands!!!!!

Give everything but up.

8 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-04-01 02:00:26)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

1)Thumb placement-thumb should not wrap around fret board. Thumb should be placed on the middle to the lower third of the back of the neck. This is very important in the early stages of learning in that it makes the far reaching chords easier to attain. As you mature and become more comfortable and fluid with your chord changes the occasional thumb reach around will be acceptable and useful.
2)String control-be aware of strings ringing out that aren't intended to do so. Example; many students of mine when playing a C chord play the low(fat) E as well. This, in most cases does not work and it sounds sloppy. Muting or dampening strings (not in the framework for a particular chord )with the palm of your strumming hand is something to be aware of.
3)Not looking at strumming hand- Look at the fretboard and develop a feel for strumming or picking. Also, take some time away from the guitar and visualize chord placement in your mind. It really helps.
4)Guitar jargon(language) If one goes from the first fret to fifth fret, one is moving UP the fretboard. If one is going from the fifth fret to first fret, one is moving Down the fretboard. Many people confuse the direction and it drives me crazy(as an instructor) It goes by pitch, as the sound gets higher, Up we go. As the sound gets lower, Down we go.

Good luck and don't forget the most important rule of playing guitar; love and cherish every moment a guitar is in your hands!!!!!

Take note of the above. This man knows...and what a great last line. That sums it all up. The worst day can be made instantly better with an acoustic and a beverage.
And if you take away 1 thing .....the damn thumb...I fight that all the time.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

SouthPaw is right on, also there is a wealth of knowledge on the net with a little surfing.

I remember when I was a kid and my father,would listen to an old 45 record player and get the lyrics and tabs down by listening over and over, I am 54 years old and self taught by taking advantage of great sights like Chordie and others it is a new world in comparison.

The creators of Chordie have made me a much better player and singer..

Good Luck,Wayne

Later, Wayne P