Topic: BEE GEES OVERRATED or UNDERESTIMATED

Today there are still a lot of people who think that loving BEE GEES music is "NOT DONE"
I am a happy man, I think I have almost every BEE GEE song written, yes that dear friends was a HUGE WORK, still in NAPSTER TIME and AUDIOGALAXY.
My collection contains 22 CD's filled with BEE GEE music. This collection is very precious to me.
ADD another 15 CD'S like TALES of the brothers GIBB, this collection isn't a best of. It has a lot of hits but also a lot of unknown songs.
Maybe these 4 CD'S are so close to me because they were playing in my car on 02/09/2000, my CAR CRASH day.
I can't help but I have more PRE-SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER songs than POST NIGHT FEVER SONGS.
It took me MONTHS of research, to find titles, songs and MONTHS to get them.
The BEE GEES have it almost all:
- great songs, especially ballads
- a unique voice harmony, with every BG in a role.
One of my best and most beloved is an own compilation BEE GEES SECOND best. Except from DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER, all the songs are mostly unknown.
GREAT SONGS: A lonely violin, and my favorite GOING BACK TO WATERLOO.

I would really appreciate chordians with their opinions.
For me they are one of the GREATEST BANDS ever.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BEE GEES OVERRATED or UNDERESTIMATED

I am not a big fan of the bee gees and I tihnk they are or were a bit full of themselves,
but the main songwriter....Maurice was it? he was a very tallented songwriter I think.
I just could not handle all that high pitched squeeling, but that is not to say the songs were bad.
I think loads of their songs are good songs but just badly done.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I am a fan of the Bee Gees, but only their pre-falsetto songs.

Robin, who mostly sang lead, had an incredible voice and the quality of it was lost with all the later 'wailing' songs.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

4 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-03-30 01:44:45)

Was it Barry or Maurice who wrote the lion's share of the songs??? No matter, I'm a fan. I'd agree with Roger Guppy that the falsetto got a little annoying. I think they were under appreciated song writers. Some brilliant tunes. I love to play their stuff (even though I'd have to go down more than a few sizes of underwear to get the voice right!!). I've always wondered why they are never mentioned in the same breath with others like Brian Wilson, Lennon/McCartney, etc. They wrote quality songs. Doc, do you think it was being labeled the father's of disco that set them back or made them lose respect? They deserve credit as they have an impressive body of work.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello