Topic: pc editing- new soundcard

just got a new sound card for my pc ... to help improve the mixing and final editing . the card is recognised by my music software but when i use the card as my main soundcard there is no sound . anyone who is a bit aware of this kind of thing - ie , music on a pc . any help would be gratefully accepted . i have done all i can to follow all instructions as to let the pc know it should be using the new card as the main one . the card is an AUDIOPHILE 2496 . though i got a  feeling i would have the same problem with any new card . thanks .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Re: pc editing- new soundcard

Hi Evsynator,

There is only only thing that comes to mind. If the motherboard has a built in sound card (as  most seem to these days) your new one will not work unless you first go into the BIOS and switch the onboard one off.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

if you have followed all instructions and still getting no sound the only ting I can think of is,
is the soundcard properly fully all the way plugged in to the motherboard?
has it got one of those wee leads that come out that has to be plugged in to a socket on the mnotherboard? is it in? is it fully in is it in the correct place?

other than that, I dont know

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Evsynator,

There is only only thing that comes to mind. If the motherboard has a built in sound card (as  most seem to these days) your new one will not work unless you first go into the BIOS and switch the onboard one off.

Roger

This is almost certainly it. Sometimes the setting can be hard to find in the BIOS. I spent a number of years as a Systems Admin and I'd bet short of your new card not being seated properly (mentioned by upyerkilt above) in the PCI slot (be sure to screw it down as well) the built in motherboard card is taking over. Try start->control panel->system->hardware->device manager->+ next to sound, video controllers and see what brand is listed there. If it's not the manufacturer/type you just installed it's probably the original still taking over. If you can't figure it out, post back and someone will get you through it. I'm sure dozens of us have "been there and done that" so don't suffer too long

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

thanks for all the suggestions - and after seeing the BIOS thing , i got a feeling it is that which may be causing the problem. as i said before- the card is being recognised by the pc with no problems - and showing as such in device manager etc ... going to get a freind of mine to help me do the switch from the onboard sound card to the new one - which is a dedicated audio recording and playback for music recording ... ie. better quality .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.