Topic: Gig Tips

Was out on Friday, and here is what I learned.

1) Get tuned up before you step on stage. Several of the bands I saw lost momentum tuning and retuning (damn Gibson pegs!) before numbers. Gibson Robot LP may actually be a good idea...

2) More guitars = more tuning. Point one multiplied over a strat, a tele and a Les Paul. Really is worth getting one guitar that can do it all or a personal on-stage guitar tech (ha ha ha).

3) Personal favorites don't always work, ill-fated cover of AC/DC's 'Back to Black' ditched badly. You just can't get that big screaming sound in a small club and you need serious lung-power.

That's it for now, probably the next gig will be me up on stage, eating these words ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Gig Tips

You forgot to take a shot of whiskey!
Cheers

-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato

Make sure you have a loud enough sound system, Check the lights and DO A SOUND CHECK!

tongue:P:P:P:P

We actually have a "sound check song."  A cute little ditty that we run through to test everyone's mike and amp settings and tuning.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Nice!

Our sound check song..

"Oh I love my microphone it pokes me in the face
If it hits me in the nose I know it's out of place.

Yes I love my microphone it knows just what to do
It picks up all the noise I make and sends it out to you.

My microphone smells funny, who sang into it last?
Smells like someone smoked a bowl in it....   wut?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Also don't leave equipment laying onstage. My bassist learned that the hard way. And be sure they give you money.

gnomefry wrote:

Also don't leave equipment laying onstage. My bassist learned that the hard way. And be sure they give you money.

They meaning the bass player who left his equipment on stage?

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
gnomefry wrote:

They meaning the bass player who left his equipment on stage?

Yep. His bass got smashed by some teens.

Gnomefry,  What was the name of the club and the date you were playing when this happened. Many times an establishment that hires musicians to perform is required by law to carry liability insurance to protect the performers and/or their equipment. I've performed in the Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesse, North and South Carolina, and Florida areas the past 24 years. Who knows I might even know the owner of the club you played where your bass player had his bass smashed on stage..........................

Give everything but up.

10 (edited by gnomefry 2008-03-27 19:46:09)

It was in Ohio.But he got a new one.It was actually a battle of the bands at our old school.They looked like college students.I didn't actually see them though that's just how the sound dude described it.Pretty cool you've played for so many years.