Topic: Tuning Problems

I've been having a pretty unusual issue trying to put my electric in open G. Every time I lower the pitch on a string all of the other string get sharper, almost half a step sharper in some instances. In fact I have trouble just tuning to pitch. If you have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem please help, its the only electric Ive got.

P.S. its a generic 80's strat, so I'm probably doomed from the start.

Re: Tuning Problems

Tremelo bar? That's known to cause tuning problems.

don't use the trem, its an almost never ending problem. I tune down one string and the others go high, I tune them down and the original string raises. It shouldn't work that way, where is the extra tension coming from, by the time I get it tuned the strings should be loose but they are not.

No one else seems to have this problem, I'm actually starting to think the guitar is haunted LOL.

I think the trem is your problem . . . If you never use it . . . then block it off.  Remove the back plate and wedge a small block of wood between the body and bridge trem piece in there.  That will stop the trem from moving.  Another solution might be to add more springs to the trem if it only has 3 instead of 5 and tighten the screws that hold the springs to the body.  Once you've blocked or tightened the trem . . . you'll have a little bit of tuning change all over when you detune some of the strings because of a little less string tension on the neck, but after you get all the strings in tune . . . they should stay there.  Also, make sure the screws that hold the neck to the body are all tight . . .

yep you guys are right, I can see the trem move when I tune, guess I'm an idiot.

Blocked the tremelo and fixed it, thanks for the help. It seems to have gotten rid of some of the annoying over tones I was having, probably was the springs.