1 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-02-28 21:03:10)

Topic: Some 12 string song ideas please...?

I'm looking for some good songs for a 12 string. I got a 12 string the other day and have been playing around with it. I've been playing Hotel California, Wanted Dead or Alive, and Wild Horses. Now I'm running short on ideas... Anybody have any good suggestions for 12 string songs?

I may should have posted this in song requests... If so feel free to move it smile   But it is an acoustic  lol Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Some 12 string song ideas please...?

"On the Wings of a Dream" by John Denver or Stariway to Heaven-the latter is played mainly on a 6-string, but I believe Jimmy Page used a double-neck, and I really like the sound of it on a 12.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I found "comfordably numb"pink floyd sounds cool on a 12.as well as" friend of the Devil" by The greatfull dead it adds a bit to the smooth parts

I'd think any kind of strummy Eagles song would work. 

Wild Rover - I am very eager to try this on my buddy's twelve string!

Also any kind of strummy Bob Dylan would work probably.  Maybe try Tangled Up in Blue.  I bet the jangliness of a twelve would sound pretty good.

Have fun and good luck.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Gordon Lightfoot stuff " Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" will send shivers down your spine with its eeriness

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Pix - Another guitar! How many does that make? big_smile How 'bout some details on the 12er, make model and your opinion. And hey - update the GAS on flikr would ya - I just went lookin for the new 12. smile

Still just me and my old yammy, but I'll be adding soon - let me know if you see or have any good deals. Take care buddy.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Pix - Another guitar! How many does that make? big_smile How 'bout some details on the 12er, make model and your opinion. And hey - update the GAS on flikr would ya - I just went lookin for the new 12. smile

Still just me and my old yammy, but I'll be adding soon - let me know if you see or have any good deals. Take care buddy.

Hey Tops, How's things been going?  Yea I picked up a ALVAREZ  PJ-85SC/12 DVS. I just put some pics of it on my flickr page for ya! I love it! Fit and finish is outstanding!  I love the maple binding used on these. Nice quality solid woods (spruce top and rosewood back and sides) In person you can even see a good deal of bearclawing in the spruce top. It's almost a shame it was stained and hidden. She playes wonderfully and the tone excellent. It's alot more responsive than alot of the 12s I've played. Most companys tend to overbuild 12 strings but this one has a nice balance. I'll probably keep it as a 12 string for now but will probably string it as a 6 when the new elixer 12's wear out. I tried the 6 string version and loved it but the neck was a little narrow for my taste so I bought a 12. That way I can have the best of both worlds...String it as a 12 or as a 6 with wider spacing. Yea the wife's still not talking to me....But sometimes you have to wonder...Is that really such a bad thing...:lol: After all sleeping on the couch is fun..Kinda like camping lol  Just kidding she's always supportive....WOS..Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

That's a purty guitar pix - I am severely jealous of your collection. Keep that strung as a 12 for a while at least - I'd love to try it out. If I don't make it your way before it, Merlefest is less than 2 months away!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

That's a purty guitar pix - I am severely jealous of your collection. Keep that strung as a 12 for a while at least - I'd love to try it out. If I don't make it your way before it, Merlefest is less than 2 months away!

Your always welcome to stop in!! Beer on me! Can't wait for Merlefest! It's sure to be a blast!

heres a great song for 12 string   turn turn turn  byrds

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

heres a great song for 12 string   turn turn turn  byrds

Thanks Russ! Always loved that song! Cant believe I had forgotten about it!

America the group of the sixties and seventies did almost all of there songs on twelve string guitars,They had alot of hits and most are not too hard too play.    dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I LOVE the sound of a twelve ( in tune ) . Used to have one years ago that I played extensively , but got tired of the lack of stayintuneitiveness . It was fine if playing alone but with other guitars , always needed to much tweaking .
   My bro in law has a nice Yahmmy 12 that he brings to jams . Always has to spend the time to tune it , but once done , and he fires it up those sixties rock songs just come to life ..............
   Sometimes I can get close to the sound with my chorus pedal , but just not the
same.............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I have to agree with Ray Melton. "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is, in my opinion, the epitome of the song made for a 12 string.

Just play

dino48 wrote:

America the group of the sixties and seventies did almost all of there songs on twelve string guitars,They had alot of hits and most are not too hard too play.    dino48

Sister Golden Hair on a twelver!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The acoustic free bird verision

17 (edited by Tibernius 2008-02-29 20:04:06)

Try these two:

Chop Suey! - System of a Down
Toxicity - System of a Down

both have acoustic 12 string sections.

Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Wish you were here by Pink Floyd yet

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Also go to youtube and search "12 string cover"

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I love to play " Wish You Were Here"  Pink Floyd on a twelve string the notes ring and ring and sound so cool.

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

try playing hotel california by the eagles.

Roadhouse Blues (the Doors and others)

Not sure whether you'd consider this, but

My Sweet Lord (when played in Am) sounds excellent on a 12er.

Feel a Whole Lot Better- The Byrds.

Here Comes the Sun- Beatles/George Harrison.

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

I think you've inspired me to tune mine tomorrow, and have a thrash and howl with it.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

be different for once people . yes all the classic do sound nice, and everyone wants to hear them.
try out some tesla  - modern day cowboy , song and emotion even love song .
try out some soundgarden or audioslave.  i am the highway really works out nice. bitch to sing though, for me anyways.
even nickleback's rockstar works really well.
just try something new is all i'm saying .
if you want a more traditional song , check out some headstones . though they sound more country on an acoustic.

English Rose by the jam is a sweet little song for a 12 string