Topic: Takamine GS330S Acoustic Guitar

Hello all,
I am new to playing a guitar. I just picked up a Takamine GS330S Acoustic Guitar. They normally sell for around $300 where I live. I got $100 off because it had very small blemishes which I almost couldn't tell where there. I love the guitar, it sounds nice and feels nice to hold and play.

As a beginner at playing Guitar I was having a little trouble with buzzing due to my fingers hitting other chords. My brother bought over his $6,000 Martin and I found I wasn't getting the buzzing noise as much. (I know a Martin blows my guitar out of the water and the price difference between $300 and $6,000 It better play better then mine).

Here is my real question. The Martin seems to have a little wider neck so my fingers aren't hitting other strings as much. I wanted to know if everyone had suggestions on guitars around the $300 price mark that had a wider neck or should I keep my guitar because I got a good deal on it and heard great reviews on my guitar or I should I just shut up and get better so my fingers don't hit the other strings? smile

Re: Takamine GS330S Acoustic Guitar

I find seagul guitars have wide necks on them and they are or can be cheep.
They sound real nice solid cedar tops back and sides I think I love there sound but I prefer a skinny neck.
I have a Takimine EG540C acc/elec and love it.
The Seaguls range from about 300-550 canadian and some come with real nice cases

Popdevil,
Hi and welcome.

The Martin neck may be slightly wider causing your ingers to touch other strings, but think back to when you started playing. I bet your fingers hit other strings on a guitar and you had to train your fingers not to. You might not think of it as training them not to but rather play without buzzing etc. This is still training. And maybe you just have to train again for a wider neck?
But if ye cant be bothered then how about a Fender? some of thier necks are slim, low action and very easy to play. The best sounding guitar I have played has been an old fender from the 60's.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

You might want to have the action on your Takamine lowered a little, Popdevil. Other than that, I doubt there is anyhting wrong with your guitar, and with some practice the width of the neck won't make much difference to you, anyway.

be patient.

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

You might want to have the action on your Takamine lowered a little, Popdevil. Other than that, I doubt there is anyhting wrong with your guitar, and with some practice the width of the neck won't make much difference to you, anyway.
be patient.

I think Patients is something I can always use and not just in playing a guitar. What do you mean by "have the action lowered?"

Welcome to Chordie Popdevil! Check out the below link for info on action and "setting up" a guitar.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Repairs2.htm

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Sorry, Pop, didn't mean to leave you hanging.

Great info on the link TD gave you.

I raised the action on mine just by loosening the neck truss. You can loser it by tightening it. On the Takamine, there should be an allen head set screw inside the body of the guitar. You should be able to feel it with your fingers if you reach inside the soundhole far enough. of course, you need to take the strings off. You probably got an allen (hex) wrench with your guitar just for such an occasion!

Just play

I want to make sure I'm correct on this...

Lower the action = ?

Higher the action = to stop buzzing?

Also, would it be recommended to get a bone nut on this guitar or is that like getting high end tires on a low end car?

Popdevil -

I can't give advice on the action as I don't have the foggiest about how to go about making that correction.

However, on changing the nut, probably not necessary.  BUT if you feel like it, you shouldn't worry about high end tires on a low end car.  Despite the mis-matched appearance, those tires still perform better than low-end tires.  So, if you like the sound of bone nuts, put on a bone nut.  I don't know that it makes much of a difference to me, but it's not my guitar now is it? 

But before the expense of changing the nut, something that you may like to do is play around with different string types, sizes, and such.  The strings make the biggest difference in sound and they're relatively inexpensive.  So, you get a lot of bang for the buck when trying out strings.  My two cents worth on it anyway. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Popdevil wrote:

I want to make sure I'm correct on this...

Lower the action = ?

Higher the action = to stop buzzing?

Also, would it be recommended to get a bone nut on this guitar or is that like getting high end tires on a low end car?

Pop,

I'm with Zurf. Unless you have money laying around that you want to spend, I wouldn't worry about "boning" your guitar at the moment (In my little mind, though, it makes sense that if you get the nut done, you should also do the bridge). Some folks do that right away, and that's cool, but I don't have the extra cash, and would rather spend my music buck on strings and picks, and such.

Lowering the action (reducing the distance between the strings and the frets) will make your guitar easier to play. It will make the barre chords easier, and will help make transitioning faster. (also, your hand won't ache as bad as quickly)

Raising the action (increasing the distance between the strings and the frets) will help reduce fret buzz.

The "buzz" you were talking about was from not having good pressure on the chords, or by overlapping your fingers onto "open" strings. I think this might be helped by a lower action, which will make the chords easier to  hold.

Buzz that is fixed by raising the action would be open string buzzing caused by the strings being too close to the frets when you are not touching it.

In my same little mind, it makes sense to have the action as low as possible without buzzing.

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT A LUTHIER!! yikes.  I mess around with mine some just because I like to mess around with stuff. The "right" way to change your action is to have your bridge and nut raised or lowered, as well as the neck adjusted, and this (in my opinion) should be left to a professional.

Maybe this is a "quick fix", and possibly not the right way to do it, but it worked for me. And, after all is said and done, by the time you read through all of this crap, you could practice your chords more, and soon the width of the neck won't matter much to you!

I hope I have helped to make this as clear as the inside of a black bear.

(sorry)

okay, so maybe I shouldn't charge for this one...

Just play

Thanks Oldnewbie, you and Zurf make very good points, gives me more to think about.

BTW: I was practicing before reading post, so not a waste. smile

When I can get the time I'ma gonna BONE my Takamine and I'ma gonna BONE it GOOD. Just waiting on a good time as I travel a lot and carry my guitar with me.

Nela

NELA wrote:

When I can get the time I'ma gonna BONE my Takamine and I'ma gonna BONE it GOOD. Just waiting on a good time as I travel a lot and carry my guitar with me.

Nela

well, that got weird in a hurry now didn't it?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

NELA wrote:

Nela

I do some of my best boning on the road.

No time like the present.

Just play

Haven't been on in a while cause I've been spending every bit of time playing the guitar. I took the takamine back to GC and exchanged it for a seagull mini jumbo. The neck is almost 1 3/4. It's great and it does help me play better.

I have found that often the buzz is not caused by fingers hitting the wrong strings but by not placing the fingers close enough to the frets.

johnemac01 wrote:

I have found that often the buzz is not caused by fingers hitting the wrong strings but by not placing the fingers close enough to the frets.

I have the opposite issue. I seem to put my fingers too close to the fret now getting the muting of the string. I’m working on it.

wider neck guitars are usually classical guitars, if they have nylon strings.

I have a Takamine EG523SC Acoustic-Electric Guitar. The action on this is ok, however I don’t like the sound and it doesn’t stay in tune long. I am going to trade it in on an electric. Anybody got an Idea what they go for on a trade in?
I know Musician’s Friend was selling for 699.00 new and one with blemish for 559.00. So I am hoping for at least 300-350. This guitar looks like a million bucks but sounds like a bunch of rubber bands over a cardboard box…(and yes I have done that…LOL). The Alvarez I have desperately needs the action lowered. It has an adjustable bridge and truss rod but I don’t know how to adjust it… I believe drop the bridge then tweak the rod? (Yikes) any suggestions? 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke