Topic: Strings help/suggestions

Hi all,
I have been learning and practicing for 5 months now.  I have built up some good calluoses, but my fingers still hurt and I find it hard to continue practicing through more than 1 tune.  If this is normal, I will just man-up and deal with it. 

However, I was wondering if there are a set of strings that would allow me to continue to practice for longer periods or is there a way to change the "action" (distance strings are from the fretboard - right?) that would create more comfort.

I would love to get the most out of my washburn wd-32sw.  Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks much folks,

P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Re: Strings help/suggestions

hey P.J.

you can drop down to light acoustic string , but they tend to die really quickly.
as far as get your action setup. take it to a local guitar teck

Try Elixir strings. They sound great and are a little easier on your fingers. They also seem to last a little longer. They cost about twice as muck but I think they're worth it

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Congrats! So you got the wd-32sw! What do you think of her?  A few tips... try going to Extra lights .o10 - .047s. I find that elixers have a softer feel and are more comfortable. That's just personal opinion ,of course...You can tune down half a step to lower the string tension. Putting a capo on the 1st fret will put it back in standard tunning and lower the action. I'd really recommend you have it set up by a professional though...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wired itup with some Elixir extra lights and now I am back in the game "pain free".  I appreciate all the feedback.
P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW